Electrical issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2odog

1997 Country Coach
50 amp service - pulled into 30 amp service

Here is the problem:
Hooked up Shore power - turned on breaker, outside on pole
went in, all things are powered up
Come out next morning to check on it and things are beeping at me... the batteries are low and lights barely glow.. no shore power
Checked all breakers, except on inverter/charger, all looks good. - Go to work
Come home, go to check inverter.... shore power has been restored, when I get out there..... ?
Check it a couple of days later, no power, batteries completely drained... NOTHING...
disconnect shore power, fire up coach, start generator, move it and wash it - leave generator running while cleaning/packing ~2 hours
Take it back to its parking spot .......
Hooked up Shore power - turned on breaker, outside on pole
went in, all things are powered up
Come out next morning to check on it and things are beeping at me... the batteries are low and lights barely glow.. no shore power
Checked all breakers, except on inverter/charger, all looks good. - Scratch head - Go to work.

Any thoughts...
The batteries are bad, getting them replaced today.... but other than that it SHOULD have power when plugged into shore power.

Thanks in advance.
ces

My 2000 CC has a whole house surge protector that shuts off the power frpm the pedestal if faults occur. It has idiot lights on it that tell you what it is complaining about. Mine is located in the electric "bay" in front of the foreward bay reached by a panel inside the foreward bay.

Either you are exceeding the 30A supply or your surge protector as described by Russ is shutting down the power due to high/low voltage.  Are you sure that you're getting shore power when first plugged in and not seeing everything running on the inverter?

Ces

Start your trouble shooting with the inverter...depending on the panel you have there should be a way to turn on the inverter & the charging circuit.? The coach batteries get charged by the inverter's built in charger. If it is off your batteries will not be charged even when hooked up to shore power or gen-set. You probably have a Heart 2000 with a 100 amp charger. Also if your inverter is on & you lose shore power it will drain your batteries. You should have the inverter turned off when you are not in the coach but the charger ckt should always be on. There will be 2 breakers for your inverter in your A/C panel also...make sure both are on.

Hmmm... Wonder if the 50 to 30 amp cable is powering one side of the breaker panel, but the inverter circuit is 'looking' at the other side and doesn't see any shore power? There should be a light or other indicator on the inverter control panel that tells you if it does. Does it?

Back
Top Bottom