Electrical nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

Upon remodeling the bathroom due to defective plastic pex fittings and mouse damage, I discovered a hidden junction box in the wall. There is no way to access the front without cutting a hole. Had I not been tearing into the back side, I would never have discovered it.

Why on earth would an RV manufacturer do something so stupid? Hidden junction boxes can cause anything from a lack of power to an outlet, to loose connections and shorts which can cause a fire. I actually have one dead outlet and I'm pretty sure this is the reason now. This weekend, I am going to have to empty out my basement or remove the plywood on the bunk above it in order to fix this potential disaster.

I'm pretty sure I see some of the romex wrapped in electrical tape around where the clamps are attached.

Poor design, plus I thought the NEC did not allow an inaccessible junction of any kind.  Access doesn't have to be easy or obvious and might involve a removing a panel like the back of a cupboard, but there is supposed to be some way of getting at it.

RV's are full of design shortcomings that optimize factory assembly time or reduce cost at the expense of future maintainability.  Basically the factory shifts expense from themselves to a future owner.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Poor design, plus I thought the NEC did not allow an inaccessible junction of any kind.  Access doesn't have to be easy or obvious and might involve a removing a panel like the back of a cupboard, but there is supposed to be some way of getting at it.
I dont even think it can be behind a panel, unless it is documented somewhere. This is in the middle of a wall. The panel over it is well fastened and blocked by the rear bunk. The easiest way for me to gain access to it is to go from the back side and cut around the box with my oscillating multitool. Once I am done, I should be able to put a box cover over it. However, I am going to consider relocating it or routing new cable entirely so there is no box. I wanted to put the shower valve in this wall and I certainly don't want to risk water leaking into a junction box if the faucet develops a leak.

Only four words needed to explain why they do stuff like that....." They Do Not Care!"  After it's out of their hands, they're betting it will not show up as a problem until the warranty is long gone, then you are responsible for any repairs and $$$$.

Cut a hole over the box on the other side. BUT FIRST. go to Michaels or some other "Craft" store and get a piece of wood somewhat bigger than the hole you will cut.. Finish it to match your wall and .. instant access with very nice cover.

cerd said:
However, I am going to consider relocating it or routing new cable entirely so there is no box. I wanted to put the shower valve in this wall and I certainly don't want to risk water leaking into a junction box if the faucet develops a leak.

:)) :)) If possible this would be the best idea.

That's them built to RIVA standards that we all pay extra for so they can put a sticker beside the entry door.

John From Detroit said:
Cut a hole over the box on the other side. BUT FIRST. go to Michaels or some other "Craft" store and get a piece of wood somewhat bigger than the hole you will cut.. Finish it to match your wall and .. instant access with very nice cover.
I will just put a regular outlet blank over the hole. Its a bit like hiding in plain sight by being so normal and yet so obvious.

It's under the bunk though, so the only one that will ever see it is me and my wife when we are digging in the storage cubby.

Good luck, seems like you got it handled in theory.  Wait until you ever have to open up a ceiling on one, youll be like WHAAAAAT?

cerd said:
I will just put a regular outlet blank over the hole. Its a bit like hiding in plain sight by being so normal and yet so obvious.

THat woudl have been my suggestion but the reason I suggested a wooden slab from a hobby shop (They have some very nice wood slabs) is I figured you'd cut a bigger hole to access it.. But yes. if a junction box cover will fit.. By all means use.  I did.

djw2112 said:
Good luck, seems like you got it handled in theory.  Wait until you ever have to open up a ceiling on one, youll be like WHAAAAAT?
I already had to replace my ceiling due to water damage. I know there is nothing up there. But since we had so many leak issues, I used regular wood planks for the ceiling instead of T&G, so it would alert me if there was a leak. Then I could repair it before it started rotting wood. I also used gold/tan colored, small head trim screws, so they are discreet, blend in with the wood, and are removable if needed.

I thought a LOT about this when I originally installed it...probably more than I should have, but the end result works for me.

My the end of this project, I may know where every single fastener is on the whole cabin.

Attachments

• rv interior back.jpg
    rv interior back.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom