Electrical outlets don't work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weezshille

Hope you can help. TT toyhauler, Skyline Nomad, 24 ft. Major rainstorm, several campsites seriously flooded (not ours). Shore power in the whole campground went out for several hours (Hills Rv St Pk). When the power came back, 2 outlets in the kitchen/sink area did not work, neither did the outside outlet on the awning side of the TT. All other outlets inside worked fine. Next trip, same story. I replaced the fuse and took out/reinstalled the same fuse, but this didn't work. They are GCFI outlets, but don't have a reset button on the individual sockets. Any ideas? I know, electrical prob w/ scant details, but maybe ...

Usually there is one GFCI outlet with the others daisy-chained from it. It will have a reset button on it. The GFCI outlet is usually located in the bath or kitchen.. when you find it, it should reset. If it doesn't kt may have failed.

If you can't find a GFCI outlet with a reset button, check for a GFCI circuit breaker in your load center.  They aren't common in RVs but it's possible.

The GFCI outlet (with the buttons) is likely located some distance away, like in the bathroom. The other outlets are simply daisy chained to that one as bobsharon indicated. Since you went through some heavy rain, it might be wise to check the outside outlet for water intrusion if the GFCI fails to reset (one you locate it of course).... (Mine happens to be part of the Circuit breaker as Ned has suggested.)

We like to have outside lights set up when we're in one spot for a while, unfortunately they have a tendency to fault the GFI when it rains.  Our primary GFI is located in the bathroom and it's just a matter of punching the reset button, those things are extremely sensitive to a little bit of moisture getting into an outlet anywhere in the chain.

If you are connected to 50 amp service, use a meter and check that you have power on both legs at the supply. My MH is wired with half of the outlets on each leg.

ALL the outlets he listed, on a rig new enough to have a GFCI required, are required to be protected by the GFCI, which as others have pointed out is normally in the bathroom.

In addition,,, The patio outlet box may be full of water, this will prevent the GFCI from doing a reset (It will trip fast as you re-set it) if this is the case, open it out, drain it out, dry it out and try again, then re-seal it (or replace the outlet if it does not work).

We had a similar problem, I pushed the reset button until the outlet died. We found that the exterior electrical junction boxes were water logged. A box behind the wheels filled with road spray, water ran from there inside the conduit to another junction box. AND this was the story on the opposite side of the RV. The top most boxes had a cable running upward and it was NOT caulked properly. You will need new junction box gaskets and a tube of high grade silicon. We also remade all of the electrical connections with butt-splice connectors and coated them with Liquid Tape. If you do replace the outlet go to a higher amperage rating and do NOT get the unit with the automatic child-guard interior safety device there are a real pain in the rear.
Kamper Dave

Kamper Dave said:
do NOT get the unit with the automatic child-guard interior safety device there are a real pain in the rear.

+1 on that!!  I bought one of those a couple of years ago not even knowing what it was and installed it outside on my back porch.  The first time I went to plug something into it I was tempted to take a hammer to it.

I just don't understand how kids are supposed to learn about electricity these days. :)

THREAD DRIFT ALERT:

You have a good point there Joe.. I used to know a person who said that Men (Specifically but in truth this applles to all Humans) learn by one of 3 methods.

Some folks can read the warning.

Some folks see what happens when the next group ignores the warning.

And some.. Well they just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Yup, How do you learn the conquences of a bad act, if you are prevented from engaging in the bad activity?

I know the last time I got bite in an Industrial Control Panel it sure started my heart to beating faster than it had been. I hate doing that!

Back
Top Bottom