Electrical Panel Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SBD444

I have an older 36’ fifth wheel that I am living in. From time to time some of my inside lights and/or my a/c will not turn on. I check the breakers and they are not tripped. However, when I slam the door to the breaker box, the lights and a/c will come on. This happens quite frequently. Any ideas what may be causing this problem?

Sounds to me you have some loose connections on the 12 Volt DC side the part where the fuses are. You'll want to disconnect Shore Power before opening the panel up. Then tighten every screw you can see.

The lights are 12vdc powered but the a/c is mixed, with 120va power to the compressor but 12v control via the wall thermostat. I'm guessing you have loose 12v wires as LRed suggests.

Probably the 12 volt control circuit that is being compromised in the panel but....

High priority is to open things up and repair it. There are many circumstances with the posted symptoms that can produce a hazardous condition.

A loose connection for sure but if you have a battery that is charged it's on the 12 volt side of life. not the "Neutral" but either the main 12 volt "HOT" or "Ground" wire.

UNLESS.There are some older converters like the Magnetek 6300 series that have a relay in them... That too is suspect. and if you have one of those. UPGRADE.

Back
Top Bottom