Electrical Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clyncher

Greetings,
I'm having a problem with my 2022 Winnebago Vista 31B. I took it out of storage yesterday, brought it home and plugged it into shore power. After that, I turned-on the fridge and freezer, waited a while to make sure they were cooling-off, then moved-on to non-RV stuff. This morning, I find the refrigerator is throwing a code that indicates low voltage. I don't get it. "Low voltage" means the coach batteries are low, right? What do the coach batteries have to do with it when I'm on shore power?
I confirmed the shore power was hot by observing the microwave, which had power. Then I thought maybe the coach batteries were somehow taking precedence over the shore power. So I shut-off my coach batteries. With that the coach lights went out, but the microwave still had power. Does any of this make sense? I thought just about everything works when on shore power.

And of course, I'm leaving tomorrow for a 6-day trip to Colorado.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jim

Kirk

I don't get it. "Low voltage" means the coach batteries are low, right? What do the coach batteries have to do with it when I'm on shore power?
It might help us to help you if you tell us what make & model your refrigerator is but RV refrigerators use 12vpower for the controls to enable them to continue to operate with no outside 120V electircity and to be able to automatically switch from 120V to propane if 120V is lost and propane is available. They must have 12v power from some source, either the battery or the converter that is there to convert 120v alternating current into 12v direct current to supply the RV systems and to recharge the battery. RV lights, furnace controls, water heater controls, and the water pump are all supplied by 12v power so that they can be used when no 120v power is available. There should be 12v power from the converter any time that you have 120V so it sounds as though it is not working. It probably has a circuit breaker on the 120v distribution board so check to be sure that none are tripped by opening and closing them.

I am thinking that you might find it helpful to take the time to read The 12V Side of Life written by Mark Nemeth of the Escapees RV club magazine. The first part is most important but if you have the time I suggest reading part 2 as well when you finish.

Top Bottom