Electrical question Amps, solar, ect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t94bird

My frigde just went out. I am thinking of putting in a small fridge and running it through the inverter. I wil be out in the wildfor a week (7 days) and need for it to be operational that long. Right now I have 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. I am thinking of adding 2 more and running the refrigerator off of those.

My question is am I going to be OK? How much amp hours will a 125 watt solar produce? Can it juice the batteries enough to run the fridge?

Thanks
B

The answer to your questions depends on a lot of variables, including how much sun/shade you are parked in

125 watts is 10 amps at 12.5 volts (Now that was simple wasn't it) so if it's in full sunlight it can product 10 amp-hours per hour

your small fridge will need,,, Just about that much, when it is running, more when starting, none when not running (Ideally it should run 1/2 of the time)  I would think a 4 golf cart battery arringment (2 pair series parrallel) should hold it overnight but you may need the generator for a few hours every morning and evening

That is going to depend.  Depend on hours of sunlight, altitude of sun in sky, cloud cover, and load ancilliary to the fridge.  Also the crud on the solar cells.  A 125 watt solar unit running at 80% will give you 8.3 amps per hour.  But it could also run at 60%.  Or 10%.  ?Qui?n sabe?

However, why are you running it thru an inverter?  Propane is going to be a lot more economical of batteries.  It uses DC only for the control board.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom