Electrical Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepemosre

Hey Guys! I?m new to live in an RV, and I have a question about some electrical issue. Currently I have 2 outlets that work only if I plug the RV to a regular 120V hook-up. My question is , is there a way to make those outlets work with a solar panel? That way i wouldn't have to buy an additional battery.
I have a 2001 adventurer truck camper  :D
I?m travelling with my girlfriend from Canada to Chile
Good day to everyone!!

For practical purposes, a solar panel needs a battery as intermediate storage, to smooth out the peaks and valley of solar power and store excess power for later use.  The power from the panels is DC (Direct Current), not the AC (Alternating Current) the outlets are designed to provide, so the two are never connected together.

So, buy that second battery and let the solar store its energy there. Use an inverter to draw power from the batteries and "invert" it from DC to AC. Pluh whatever 120vac items you have right into the outlet(s) on the inverter. Caveat:  only low power devices unless you have a lot of battery capacity. It takes a 10+ battery amps to produce just 1 amp of 120vac power.

Something like this might do sufficient for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Ampeak-400W-Power-Inverter-Converter/dp/B0714B231X/

After you price solar panels, inverter and batteries you might want to consider a small generator.  Kind of depends on what you need the 120 volts for, how big is the load?  I have a monitor that lets me watch what my solar panels are doing during the day, it's interesting to watch the variance as the amount of sunshine changes. 

If you need these for USB converters to charge phones and tablets, you can add a USB outlet powered from the battery.

Back
Top Bottom