ELECTRICAL STEP ON 1998 FLEETWOOD STORM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdnman

MY STEP HAS QUIT OPERATING  IS IN THE IN POSITION
ARE THESE STEPS FUSED? CAN I HIT WIRE OR JUMP THE SWITCH TO OPERATE?

Roll under and pull the "pin" (has a cotter key in it) then attempt to swing it out and in.. If that is difficult then lube all the joints..
  With the pin removed you can check the wiring for corrosion and damage without fear of chopping your arm off if it activates.>>>Dan

And... Keep well away from underneath the steps while they are connected in case they decide to activate!!!

This might not be your problem but the electric motor may have worn brushes which have quit working in one direction. Nearby RV repair places wanted to sell us a new set of steps instead of just replacing the motor. On mine I found it was a slightly older Ford electric window motor.  I had to identify it by finding a site with dozens of pictures of various motors.  Then Googled to find the best price which was less than $50 with shipping. As Utclmjmpr said once you remove the pin connecting the motor to the steps they should slide out easy. Then the motor is pretty easy to install if you work under the RV instead of taking the steps off. Since I like to play with things I found the motor brushes on another site for $7 and fixed the original motor so I now have a spare. A friend had problems with the magnetic automatic open/close sensor in the door and door jamb and replaced all that with a dual pole toggle switch next to the on/off switch just beside the door using its hot wire. $5 fix from Radio Shack.

Back
Top Bottom