Electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Hey Everyone,

In reguards to the having a generator in an Class A RV, Does all appliances including the hot water htr. run off of this power?
Also when you are at a camp site or some place that provides electrical services( plug into coach ) type 110V. Is there some type of converter switch or something of this sort that allows you to use the supplied power? Instead of relying on your generator for power.
Thanks Steve

The generator will run everything that is normally run off of shore power.  There will either be a transfer switch to automatically change the power input from the shore power cord to the generator or an outlet that you plug the shore power cord into when running the generator.

I either case, to use shore power, just plug the power cord into the outlet on the camp site pedestal.

The answer to all your questions is YES

The generator is able to run everything in the motor home (normally)

And yes, there is a transfer switch, usually automatic in modern rigs

The other poster left off a step in switching to shore power...... TURN OFF GENERATOR

The switch usually chooses GENERATOR over shore power, and usually does it a few seconds after the generator fires up to give it time to stablize

Finally there is a 3rd option for senestive electronics... Inverters,  That's another thread here in the forum

For those of you two which answered, thanks much. That info. was of great concern for me.
Steve

Once in awhile, when we use too much power for the generator, the breaker on the generator will trip.  That can lead you searching for the reason, but the breaker (if an Onan) will be at the generator.

magboiler said:
Once in awhile, when we use too much power for the generator, the breaker on the generator will trip.  That can lead you searching for the reason, but the breaker (if an Onan) will be at the generator.

I have gone to checking that breaker FIRST,,, Normal vibration can cause it to switch to OFF it seems

Back
Top Bottom