Electronic junk yard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Before we sold our prior house a little more than 2 years ago I disposed of numerous old PCs, printers, scanners, audito and video equipment that were obsolete &/or non-functional but gathering dust in the garage or the attic. Garbage service at our current location does not accept electronic waste, but a few days ago I discovered that a local recycling plant does. It's not free, but they charge only a nominal amount.

I can't believe that the Suburban is loaded to the hilt with more PCs, printers, all-in-one machines, audio and video equipment. Chris is making a run to the recycling plant tomorrow and I'm still finding electronic junk stashed away in long-forgotten corners.

I was under the impression that electronic equipment manufacturers were obligated to offer recycling of old equipment (not sure if that's a state requirement). When I went to HP's web site hoping to dispose of a large MFP, they want to charge $30 for the privilege. Heck, I could almost buy a new printer for that.

One of the local towns near us sponsors an electronic equipment recycle day once a year. They open up the town maintaintence yard and and a firm that specializes in electronics recycle comes in with tractor trailers and you can drop off for free. They must get 15-20 trailers full every time.  I've seen large offices come in with pallets  of stuff. It's a win-win for everyone.

Chet18013

Tom  Why not take it to the local Animal shelter store, Good Willl, Salvation Army, or other orginazations that resell things.  I'm sure they  would appreciate the donation and also you get a deduct slip for tax writeoff purposes.    They resell them and use the $ for their organization.

If any of the equipment is still functional, ask around at the local churches.  Often they will give such equipment to people that can't otherwise afford such equipment.  We've done this with TVs, VCRs, printer, etc.

We have donated some stuff, but many charity organizations, epecially the SA, require that you can show the equipment to be functional. They're already overloaded with outdated equipment that they can't sell and don't need any more.

We've also given TVs and lots of other stuff to folks we know couldn't afford them.

The Burb left with a load of electronic junk. But, being the keep-it-forever guy that I am, I rescued an MFP (combo) and put it back in service on Chris' desktop. I still couldn't bring myself to part with my first "laptop", a 15lbs behemoth running an 8088 processor and two floppies (no HD). It really doesn't take up much room  ;D  Neither does the TI 2000 super slim notebook weighing in at only 2 lbs, that doesn't run any known software  :(  Oh well, they can go on the next recycle run.

Let's face it Tom? ?Folks like us have Junk, real junk and then there is Good Junk.? Sometimes it's just hard to part with it.

LOL Shayne, I hate parting with anything. Just last weekend I finally gave our 1991 Honda Accord to our daughter. It runs just fine and, other than a scratch I put on a wheel well a couple of years ago, has no body damage and looks really clean. But it's been driven only by visitors for the last 5 years, so I reluctantly decided it needed a new home.

On the recycle stuff, Chris will willingly make another trip to the recycle center now that she knows it's within a half mile of her favorite fabric/sewing store  ;D

LOL  I knew Chris would find away to get into those deep pockets of yours.  I couldn't bare to part with me old  92 Lincoln Town Car.  WE both really like the car even tho it has over 200K on it.  It looks good so I spend $750 to have it shipped out here so it can sit under the carport of the other Park Model we bought here.  Just got to have our toys.  LOL

Back
Top Bottom