Emergency light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Road pilot

I have a 1999 Monaco diplomat. Never a problem but emergency light on dash illuminated yesterday for the first time. What could the problem be? Thanks...

Unfortunately a simple dash warning light is just too generic to pin down to one thing. Honestly, your first reference should be your owners manual. It will give a more accurate indication of what system might need attention.

Usually dashboard "idiot lights" will indicate you need to check some fluid level such as oil, water or brake fluid. My Mercedes alerts when the washer fluid is low. So, again, check your owners manual.

Do you have gauges? Does anything look amiss? Some vehicles can indicate when something is out of tolerance, such as worn brakes. Or perhaps even as silly as a gas cap being loose, in the case of vapor recovery systems.

Find a friend that has a OBDII scanner (available at Autozone, NAPA, etc). The code, or codes, thrown can give a better indication of what is wrong rather than someone just guessing.

Please report your findings.

Kevin

Not to be a smart alec, but when you pull codes you'll know. There's no way to guess, could be hundreds of different reasons.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The warning light just says warning. I have all original owner manuals and nothing is noted about the light.
All gauges show normal operation.
I will do as suggested and have the OBDII scanner check the fault.

thanks for the input...Gilbert

It's kind of a catch-all, indicating some unusual condition exists and needs your intention. Usually means an engine computer diagnostic code has been stored, but can also include things like water-in-fuel-filter, low coolant, or similar conditions that do not generate an engine code.

Here are some discussions on other sites that describe some of the conditions that can cause that light to come on.

You really need a code reader... Or, depending on gas or Diesel a phone app.

For my Gasser I had the phone app (Torque pro) which reads the codes via blue tooth. have not yet installed the transmitter in the jeep... got to find it.

Not sure I don't need to get a new adapter.

You read diagnostic codes at the engine diagnostic plug, which a '99 diesel should have. It's probably not OBD2, though - big diesels use different test standards, J1939 for recent models and J1708 on older ones. It's probably a 9-pin oval plug. You can get a wired or BT adapter for it and use a smart phone to display codes. Or buy a dedicated code reader device for it. Cummins code values are available online.

Your coach isn't on a Freightliner chassis, but this old topic may be of some help on code reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom