Emergency Road Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean & Linda Stock

I am evaluating two different Emergency Road Service plans and would appreciate any information, pro or con, you might have.  The two plans are the "Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service" and the "Emergency Roadside Assistance" offered by the Family Motor Coach Association.  The FMCA plan uses the Coach Net service. 

Any experience, especially a negative one, would be helpful to me.  I am going on a two month trip in a few weeks and would like to have this decision in place before I leave.

Thanks for your input.

Dean and Linda

Although we've had both, I'd say go with Coach Net. In addition to offering a more complete service, Coach Net doesn't send you all the Good Sam junk mail for the next 5 years.

We started with GS ERS and switched to Coachnet after waiting until 10:30pm (5 1/2 hours) for GS to show up.

Jeff Cousins said:
We started with GS ERS and switched to Coachnet after waiting until 10:30pm (5 1/2 hours) for GS to show up.

Hmmm you must know somebody at GS emergency service the only time we used them it took two hours longer than you waited setting along side a two lane highway in Texas.  We also switched to Coachnet.

I've only had one occasion to use my Good Sam service so far. Blew the tranney in my F250 while towing the trailer, one mile from our campsite. I was very happy for the service, it was late afternoon on a Friday, on the coast. Got a tow truck out within a hour and a half, towed my trailer to my campsite and backed it in, then towed my truck to the nearest transmission repair shop (forty miles away).

Hi Dean and Linda,

We have Coach Net.  Some times they can offer technical support on the phone to get you up and running without having to send someone out.  This is why we use them  as Good Sam does not offer such a program.

Betty and Terry

You may have another option. Your auto or  motorhome policy may allow you to add on ERS for a nominal fee.

For instance I have USAA and for $8 per vehicle annually I have ERS, including my two autos.

I just arrange my own tow or tire service with cell phone, pay them with credit card and USAA the reimburses me. They also have an 800 number I can call for assistance.

I have been RVing 16 years and have had two tows and a couple of flats and never had a problem arranging my own road service.

One of the headaches is getting a qualified tow service and that is why I want to arrange my own. Its very easy. Just have a copy of Trucker's Friend which lists all truck stops. Any truck stop, Freightliner, Spartan, Ford or GM center, will tell you who is the best tow service with qualified equipment in that area. Also Highway Patrol. I see posts about these ERS services sending out people without adequate equipment and having to start all over.

Of course, these ERS policies are not free and they are out to make a lot of money so going it alone is another option.

In 16 years I have about 120000 miles of RVing miles and have spent less than $800 if I paid these claims myself. So if I was paying $80 per year I would be ahead going it alone. You just have to have enough personal risk taking and a credit card. I had one tow of nearly $400.

Bob

Dean,

Another thing I like about Coach Net is they have techs that can answer questions you may have about things other than road needs. Example...if your refer stops working they can troubleshoot over the phone and if needed can schedule you into a repair facility. They can usually get you in for repairs sooner than you could just calling cold.

Very true Don because Ned and I have had that experience.  We needed an appointment and tried to get one on our own and they told us at least two weeks.  Then remembered that we had Coach Net and called them and they were able to get us in that day at another service place but in the same area.

We had a good experience with Coach Net regarding finding a garage to replace bad tire while in a remote place in Arizona.  The process went very smoothly, no hassles and we were on our way in less than 4 hours..tim lassen

We've had to use CoachNet on several occasions and Have not had a bad experience.

Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom