Emission test when traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travelwelderwife

Hey!  We travel full time for my husbands job.  We THINK that our next stop is in the Los Angeles area.  We were told by a friend who is a truck driver that our RV would have to pass emission tests to enter the state of CA.  Is this correct?  I understand that if we were registering it there, that we would have to have it tested.  He told us that we would have to stop at the big truck weigh stations on I-10 coming in and be tested to even enter the state and that just doesn't make sense to me.  Texas inspects vehicles when registering as well, and we didn't have to be inspected here (because we are here temporarily and the vehicles, truck and RV, are registered in our home state of AL).  So I don't understand why we would have to be tested in CA (or any other state) if all we are doing is traveling?  It's not a problem if we do.  Our rv is a 98 Fleetwood Bounder, so it is an older model.  We just want to be prepared and of course follow the law.  Any one have any ideas?  Again, not registering, just traveling.  Should come in, park at an RV park for about 3-6 months and then when job is over we'll move on.  Thanks in advance!
Jennifer & Keith

Great!  Thank you so much!  That is really what we thought, because it just made no sense to be tested for traveling purposes only.  His friend was just insistent tho, that we would be stopped at the weigh stations.  Again, its no problem, and we want to make sure we are following all regulations, just wanted to be prepared ahead of time!  Thanks!

We've never stopped at, or been stopped by, weigh stations coming into California. You will stop at an agricultural inspection station (maybe more than one, depending on your travels), but they're only interested in whether you're bringing plants, fruit, or some other foods into the state.

Oh wow!  I've never seen those either!  This is all still very new to us.  Just recently, in our personal car, on just a day trip to Carlsbad Caverns in NM, then yesterday to Tombstone AZ, (both from El Paso) we had to stop for border patrol inspection.  Kinda scary to me! 

Other than border crossings, the only place I've seen Border Patrol stopping vehicles is on the highway 50 miles north of Mexico. Not a big deal, and they usually wave you through, unless they suspect you're smuggling folks from south of the border. Some of the agents even have a sense of humor - see here.

if your rig is currently registered in another state you don't need to do anything...and don't ever drive a motorhome through the Truck Scales,.... that really tics off the CHP scale monitors.

You will be stopped at the border checkpoint on I10 and asked if you any fruit or firewood on board.

Border patrol with a sense of humor! Thats great!  We have been stopped in our personal vehicle just on quick day trips site seeing.  When asked if we are US citizens my answer was "well, we're from Alabama, does that count?"  I think he thought I was serious! haha..

Thanks so much for the tips!!!!  We really appreciate it!  As I said, this is all still pretty new for us.  Been in it about a year so we are still learning as we go!  I'm so thankful that I found this site because we have been heavily dependent on Facebook Groups and sometimes those aren't very nice. 

Note these ag check points require EVERYONE to stop.  You are not allowed to bring certain items into CA, including fresh fruits or firewood or several other items for fear of bringing "wildlife" or diseases in with them.

Sounds like your "friend" told you a truck driver story. Lol  Anyways like everyone else was saying, you only have to emission test here if you are registered here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom