EMS surge protector?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hflors

Just read on another board (fb RV quilters) about an electric box at a camp ground that had a surge and like burned out.  Luckily, the people said they had an EMS surge protector?  I decided to come here to the "experts" and ask about this.  Should I get one of these "EMS surge protectors"?  Does this electric surges happen very often?  Do you think Camping world would carry these?  Any help would be appreciated.

Note:  I am a little nervous about any electric surges.  Our Cable box was hit be lighting last August and blew out all three tv's and fried all the cable boxes.  We had to replace tv's and Directv replaced the boxes.  Now we know to get surge protectors with the little screw on the end for your cable lines (who knew???)  And our son and wife just had their house burned down from a lighting strike last month.  Luckily they got our and no one was hurt.  They are now fighting it out with ins co. to get it rebuilt.  So you can imagine just the thought of any electric strike/surge has me in a panic.

Thanks

Helen

Progressive and Surge Guard are probably the best known and most respected products for this purpose. They come in models that plug in to the campground post directly and in models that are permanently mounted in your RV. If you google for Surge Guard or for Progressive Surge Protection you'll see links to both types of products.

The good ones aren't cheap, but they offer a lot more than just surge protection alone, including over- and under-voltage, shorts and other bad situations. They are excellent insurance for your electrical system.

You should always use a surge protector. Most people here recommend models made by Surge Guard or Progressive . I think Progressives are guaranteed for life.

I am also a fan of Progressive's devices. We used to have a 50 amp Surge Guard device, but it burned up for unknown reasons. I replaced it with a 50 amp Progressive device, and it works very well. It has disconnected our coach from a power pedestal twice since we've had it - both for low voltage problems, not high voltage spikes. It's been my experience that low voltage problems are more common than high voltage spikes.

Like others have mentioned, the better devices aren't cheap (I think ours cost about $400.00 IIRC) but I think they're well worth it. The better devices will protect against both high and low voltage problems, and will disconnect and reconnect the RV from the power pedestal automatically. If our device disconnects from power for any reason, or if there is any kind of power problem at the power pedestal, it will display an error code telling you what the problem is/was.

Kev

There is a difference between an EMS and a surge protector.  The surge protector does just that, protect from surges.  An EMS tests the power and will not allow it through unless it passes.  They test for under and over voltage as well as various electrical faults like an open ground.
Surge protectors are much less expensive but I prefer a good quality EMS like the Progressive Industries one.  Mine has shut off power several times for various faults as well as protecting from surges.

At aroung 200-250 they are cheap insurance.  Plus they can save your life as well as your RV.

They come in 2x2 styles for the most part

TRC---SURGE GUARD has a 1 year warranty
Progressive Industries "EMS" has a much better warranty

Portable you plug in (Unless your forget) and hopefully it "Hangs arond" and does not grow legs in the middle of the night

Hard wired.. Sticks around and there is nothing to forget or plug in.

How it works
THe good ones (I will use the one I want PI HW-50C) when you plug in it tests the power. NO GROUND.. It will warn you.. OPEN NEUTRAL it will warn you .. Plugged into a 240 volt Dryer Outlet using an adapter. IT WILL WARN YOU and it will NOT connect you to the wrong voltage!!!! (Very important)

The open ground by the way can kill you. Not just your appliances (Which it won't hurt)
Open NEUTRAL can kill your appliances but is unlikely to kill you.

It also monitors current draw and voltage and reports both to you via the remote (or local) Display.

I recommend setting (on the hard wired PI uint) "Long" delay before connecct.

One of the issues that hits my RV from time to time is the POWER BLINK
That is like a one second power fail and then it comes right back on.

THis will hold you off for most of 3 minutes when that happens.. Saves a lot of wear on the A/C compressors as they blead down before they restart. Restarting at full head pressure very hard on them.

Another vote for Progressive HW-50C.

It does everything described.  It is cheap insurance.  It saves many hassles.  It conveniently displays voltage on both lines, amp draw on each line, frequency, and error messages.  Don't leave home without one!

I like Progressive Industries 50XL. https://rvingreviews.com/electrical/best-rv-surge-protector/

Great product and easy to install. I installed this in my 2017 Bullet Premier 34bhpr. The hardest part was getting the wire in and screwed down while working in a tight area. It took me about 2 hours to install the unit and hide the wires.

Don't be without one. They are worth it. Progressive is our choice.

I'm guessing the OP most likely bought on back in July or Aug 2018  ;)

Like so many have said here don't go without one. They will show you electrical issues that a volt meter won't. I have a Surge Guard and it failed once. Not sure if it was from an electrical storm, shore power or a bad unit but Surge Guard replaced it. I'll go with a Progressive next time. I also have a back up less expensive Surge Guard which was the 1st one I purchased until I but the upgraded version. That way if one blows I have the other to get me thru. You can find them cheaper than an RV dealer on line. I went with the plug in models that way I don't have to pull my electric panel to replace if necessary.

EMS-PT30X works as advertised. Confirms the electrical circuit is working properly before allowing flow to your RV. It displays amps being consumed so you know if limits are being surpassed. We use a couple of padlocks and a chain with one lock around the cord and the other end locked to the electrical outlet. The delay of electric flow after plugging in or an electrical interruption ensures RV components are protected. Have only used it for a couple of months and so far so good

Larry N. said:
Progressive and Surge Guard are probably the best known and most respected products for this purpose. They come in models that plug in to the campground post directly and in models that are permanently mounted in your RV.

For many years the Progressive Industries distinguished itself by haveing a lifetime warranty. But when Southwire bought TRC (Technical Research Corporation) makers of the SURGE GUARD they upped the warranty.  I still think the PI is the better product but I have a Surge Guard. .hard wired (my 2nd Surge guard the first one long story but it died)  I'll be keeping it when I leave the RV life since the way I installed it makes it easy to remove.

Mine is a 50 amp  but if your RV is 30 amp you use the 30 amp model
Portable or hard wired is up to you but it's so easy to "Forget" a portable for an overnight.. and regret it  The HW is not forgettable.  (One of two reasons Why I went HW. Southwire addressed the other reason on the portables)

Why I Choose Surge Guard..> Well it was one fantastic sale price when I got it.

Features include traditional Surge Guard (Spike supression)
Over/under voltage suppression
Time delay on power up (This protects air conditioners and the like)

Especially for 30 amp rigs.  They are getting a bit less common but a few years back to when I first started in the forums (MANY years back) we'd read one of two stories.

I plugged into a 30 amp outlet in my buddy's garage. He said other RVers plugged in there all the time and......|

or

I hired an electrician to install a 30 amp outlet and ......

And even one who installed it himself

I must have seen at least 100 such stories over the years

Oh what follows....  All the electronics in the RV were burned out by 240 volts

The better PI's and Surge Guards with over/under voltage protection 100% prevent this.

The lower end units DO NOT.. Just so you know

I see the HW-50C mentioned and I think a PTX-30  Both of these have over/under

Again I favor the HW.> less to mess with  No way to forget

My Install

Shore---Hughes Autoformer---Surge Guard---Auto Transfer switch---RV

I'll pull the Hughes and Surge guard when I turn the Rig over to insurance next month.

I had a 50 amp progressive surge protector and this past spring I went to use it and it was dead. I called PI and had to make out a warrantee form. I had to show the bill of sale receipt? They sent me a brand new one and ask me to cut off the plug on the damaged one and just throw it away. I did open it up before I threw it away and found quite a bit of rust inside. Water had leaked in through the cable entry point. After seeing that, I took the new one and sealed the same area with a good grade of silicone caulk.  They replaced it with  for the most part with no questions asked. Now that?s a good warranty.

Ours is a Progressive Hardwired as well - we don't use campgrounds much and it hasn't "fired" on the home connection but when/if it does it likely will have more than paid for itself.

You talked a lot about lightning - remember that nothing will protect you in a direct or very close strike situation.  It's just too much energy to protect against.

-Chak

Yup with Lightening about the only thing that will protect you is an Air Gap.. I'd say aboiut 1-2 miles is safe (kidding slightly that would indeed be safe. Missed me by about 200 yards and I survived)

We have a Progressive portable 30A unit.  Got it immediately after our AC was destroyed by campground low voltage on a scorching summer day.  Bought the unit as the AC was being replaced (thankfully still under warranty!)  Now I won't plug in without it.  In fact, it has disconnected us no fewer than three times since then, all due to low voltage in campgrounds with old power infrastructure. 

I can assure you that it's <>$300 very well spent.  FAR cheaper than the alternatives.

Having had both the Surgeguard and Progressive devices, I can say that one unique feature of the Progressive is the ability to show the "previous error".  In the presence of intermittent problems this is essential in figuring out what the cause of a problem is.  We encountered a situation in which a Surgeguard repeatedly cut the power and then restored it with no apparent problem.  Eventually I replaced the Surgeguard with a Progressive.  Sure enough the device did exactly the same thing!  However, because the device could display the "previous error" we could clearly see that the problem was being caused by a high voltage spike resulting from a floating neutral.  Once the power utility technician tightened all the connections in the pedestal things were fine!

FunSteak said:
We have a Progressive portable 30A unit.  Got it immediately after our AC was destroyed by campground low voltage on a scorching summer day.  Bought the unit as the AC was being replaced (thankfully still under warranty!)  Now I won't plug in without it.  In fact, it has disconnected us no fewer than three times since then, all due to low voltage in campgrounds with old power infrastructure. 

I can assure you that it's <>$300 very well spent.  FAR cheaper than the alternatives.

Mine is 50 amp. one of the things I've seen in several campgrounds is what I call a power "Blnik" power goes out for like 1 second.

With the Surge Guard it goes off for over two minutes.  Then there is a slight delay when power is restored courtesy of the electronics in the Air Conditioner.

This gives the Units time to bleed down to normal restart instead of trying to re-start with a full head of pressure.. Plus it gives the power in the park (Which is on one fantastic roller coaster ride) time to settle down before I get power back.

Very nice.

One of my A/C's (The one with Carrier electronics) failed on me last week.. Would not start when I pushed the button on the remote... So.> Put new batteries in remote  No joy.. Still did not work though the remote acted normal (Was not) Finally hit the RESET button on the remote and JOY.
Not using that one today (just the other one on FAN, and the Fantastic Fan) Saturday when I'm on a 50 amp site.. I'm gonna need it.

Back
Top Bottom