Enemies are closer than you think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Of all the places in all this land to live i found out a spider is living in my freaken keyboard grrrrrrr!  I just happened to look down and saw it run accross and dive into a hole under my spacebar that goes to the circut board inside.  This is why i hate spiders, they are so sneaky.  Why cant it just go outside where there are other bugs to eat, there is no food inside my keyboard so why is it in there. 

Even now i cant really focus on typing because im thinking its gonna run out onto my hand any sec now...    :mad:    Stupid spiders!!!

Wow that's a first.  I repaired computers 45 years and never had a call about spiders in the keyboard.

Had a Black Snake in a high power radio transmitter one time but no spiders.

Creepy.

They also live under your coach, so be careful ...

While we were at a Monaco service center one of techs went under our coach with his flashlight to check out some cable runs. He came out in a hurry, saying "there's a black widow under there!" He then went to get another tech who keeps/raises BWs at home  :eek:  The second guy went under the coach, confirmed it was a black widow, and proceeded to tease it into a container. He then showed us how to distinguish a BW from similar looking spiders. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

I can beat the spiders in the keyboard story. A few years ago my wireless printer stopped printing. It was less than a year old so I started taking it apart. I took the top off and discovered about 100 cockroaches crawling around everywhere inside of the printer. I took it outside, put it into a plastic trash bag and sprayed the inside of the bad with cockroach spray and then dumped the whole thing into the dumpster.

SeilerBird said:
I can beat the spiders in the keyboard story. A few years ago my wireless printer stopped printing. It was less than a year old so I started taking it apart. I took the top off and discovered about 100 cockroaches crawling around everywhere inside of the printer. I took it outside, put it into a plastic trash bag and sprayed the inside of the bad with cockroach spray and then dumped the whole thing into the dumpster.

I can top both stories: Our refrigerator is up against a side wall and there is a cabinet above it with about an inch of space between the top of the refrigerator and the bottom of the cabinet.  A few years ago, my wife went to open the refrigerator door and was greeted with a head looking straight at her. It was a large black snake. They both eyeballed each other and when the snake decided it liked it there she went and got her camera and took a few pictures of it. We left it there and the following morning it was gone.
If I knew how to post a picture here I would post one.

Jack L

The Black Widow has a scary rep that is actually little deserved. It's true the venom is potent, but they seldom bite people and rarely cause death if they do.  It's actually a very common variety of spider, yet you don't hear many reports of bites from them.  That said, be cautious about sticking your hand into dark enclosed places...

I have had bugs in my computer before as well (NO I do not mean programming errors but those too).

But when you said "Enemies are closer than you think" I was not thinkng of spiders (Who would catch and eat bugs I don't like) so much as the 2 legged kind. and yes they are too.

Gary you probably don't remember, but our very first Forum Rally was hosted by you and Nancy in Nashville.  As we were setting up, I flipped the plastic cover over the sewer connection.  It was one of those quite common, a rectangular plastic, with cross hatched plastic on the bottom.  As it flipped, there it was, a black spider with the telltale red hourglass on her back.  Well it was the first time I had seen one live, but luckily it was also the last one I saw.  The rest of the group didn't seem concerned, so we just hooked up, but kep our eyes open.

Ed

??? i think I need to go look on Amazon and see if they sell force field to surround us, no price is too high lol
Gary, I love how you say they "rarely" kill humans as a positive lol, rarely is often enough for me!

Pugapooh said:
The roaches gross me out but the snake?  No,nope,nada,nyet.  Snakes and bats are grounds for moving or arson.

I'm not a fan of snakes, but as long as bats keep eating the mosquitoes and other biting bugs around our Adirondack cottage, they're quite welcome! We even put up a couple of bat houses for them...

Hi,

Brown recluse spiders are a bit more scary to me. They can bite an area and it tends to rot in that spot. Oh ya they like to sneak into keyboards when you aren't watching.............just kidding.

NY_Dutch, in Germany, having bats at your residence is considered a good selling point. Bats are around they just aren't noticed much being nocturnal.

If the black snake was there once, isn't it going to come back again?

RVMommaTo6 said:
You're a stronger person than I, my keyboard would have been ashes in my burnt out house lol

Well it was not like it was a pleasant introduction lol  I did not sit here and say well hello there friend lol    I about messed myself and jumped up with a few choice words lol 

I cant toss it out or burn it, its a $170 keyboard.  Have not seen it again so maybe it got burned up inside the keyboard or snuck out in the night.  But tonight i will lay a piece of tape (sticky side up) along my space bar and see i can catch it.  It looked to me like one of those small jumping spiders, they are harmless but i dont like spiders anyway.  But i do admit that some of those jumpers are quite colorfull with amazing paintjobs. 

Besides i do feel better about having to deal with this tiny thing after seeing the story on the news about the sand spider in austrailia that was found in someones garage eating a rat.  That spider was bigger than my whole keyboard, can you imagine that running around your house, ewwwwwwww.....   

You can bet that any country that has spiders that huge wont be seeing me visit. That thing was probably the size of my 20 inch monitor...wow creepy

SeilerBird said:
I worked for a company making and servicing credit card machines and was amazed at how many came back with cockroaches in them,  mostly from restaurants! Yuk. I hadn't realised we had them in the UK. The company had to start pest control in the building after that.

Bats are protected in the UK, we have some living in the wall of our house. They are cute to watch.

That snake story though..... ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom