Engine access key - SOUTHCO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Am looking for a replacement key for Winnebago Adventurer 1995 engine access.
It's the tubular version 7/16" diameter. Any suggestion where to look? Web/ Dealer etc.
I have tried but came up with no one sofar.
This Florida RV'r will appreciate your suggestion. 

You might call Winnabago with your unit number or vin  and they may have the code in their computer for your coach. I know Newmar has those details.

I never lock my engine door but notice some do. On road I want immediate access in case of fire.

Perhaps someone could do some damage but I don't see much  they might do. In storage I am in a secure area with locked lot so I have yet to lock mine.

I did notice one unnamed person at Quartzsite had his locked when he was going to show and tell some features.  :eek:

Bob

A Winebago dealer should be able to get yoou a blank for the key, but they need a number to have a new key made (though its possible that all 95 Winnies had the same key).  COntact Winnebago about the key number.  If Winnebago cannot supply a key, a competent locksmith ought to be able to help.

After we bought our new MH, last year, I decided we needed another key for the hood. (Is that access called a hood, or what?) Wanted one for me, one for the wife and a spare. Anyway, went to the parts counter at the dealership. They had one in stock and gave it to me, no charge. It works.

Bob: You say you never lock yours. My key operates the latches. If I don't turn the key, it isn't latched. Nothing is holding it! It could come open, driving down the road! Do you have a different arrangement or am I missing something, here?

Ray D

Ray D said:
Bob: You say you never lock yours. My key operates the latches. If I don't turn the key, it isn't latched. Nothing is holding it! It could come open, driving down the road! Do you have a different arrangement or am I missing something, here?

Ray D

I was referring to a vertical door in rear on diesel pusher. When its lowered it bangs into place and latches but key lock is another step.

Bob

OK, Bob, I copy. Thanks. I didn't think about a pusher. My door - hood - hatch - whatever is in front. Leave it unlatched, and I'd get to watch it down the road.

Ray D

My old Gas Bounder has two key latches in the front hatch.  I leave them unlocked for safety reasons. 

OK, I'm still learning. If you leave them unlatched, does the hatch stay closed?
Do you recommend that?
Ray D.

There are two kinds of hood latch (or more but for this purpose just two kinds)

In one case the hood is held closed by the key-lock and in the other the hood is latched, and then the latch is locked with the key.

My rig has the former, if you don't lock it, nothing other than a small amount of friction holds it closed and a pair of springs try to open it

Other rigs I've seen have an assortemnt of types.  Some have the same kind of latches as on your storage compartments, these latch on their own but lock with a key

Re SOUTCO key search
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will put my project on the low burner, until I run across a key in my future travels. The access panel stays in place nicely without locking it.
Happy travelling.  carson.

OK, John. Your latch is almost certainly like mine. I lock it. Should I be doing something else?

Ray D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom