Engine Air Cleaner Filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

How often do you replace your engine air filter?  I replaced mine today on our van after 25,000 miles and really couldn't tell that much difference between the old one and the new one. But since Checker had a coupon in the paper worth $8, (it only cost me $.99 to repace it) I thought it was worth it. ;D
Jake

Me, depends.. the air cleaner on the MH I suppose I should replace, it's a year old and some thousands of miles, I will get it with the next oil change (Since some of those are dessert miles)

The Air cleaner on the towed,,, I don't replace as  it is a K & N. 

(K & N filters you clean and renew)

Now, Before you run out and buy a K & N, I've heard lots of argument why you don't want to buy one, Most of it is, well, not founded in fact, However the last one I heard was a good one, so I'm not going to recommend them on any vehicle made in the last 10 years, My towed is a teenager however so it gets a K & N. (Note, not recommending against them either,  Not taking any position at all on them with newer cars)

If you drive in dusty/dirty areas, Gravel roads, Dessert, Off-Road, you need to change more often,  Otherwise it is a good idea to do it every other oil change I suspect.  A clean air filter gives better performance, you will not likely notice unless you are towing however, and better gas millage (likewise) though your engine control computer can compensate for a lot now days in the gas millage difference department.

I check mine annually and sometimes more often if traveling in dusty conditions. I seldom replace them - usually they just need to have the sand & dirt "shaken out" if they are the paper cartridge type. O  blowing it with compressed air can work wonders too.  But if it shows signs of contamination with grease or other build-ups, I replace them. Of course, that also brings up the question of where did the contamination come from...

Since you got the filter almost free, I'd say it was a smart move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom