Engine Battery Date Code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

Over the past few weeks have noticed that engine battery is not fully charging when connected to shore power. It's been sitting at 12.5V while plugged in. When connected the house battery is typically above 13.7V. House batteries have dropped as well (13.2-13.3V). House batteries are brand new and connections tight and clean. Started to think engine batteries are the issue. Looking for date code. Sticker on front shows H6. Does that really mean July 2006?

majicchuck said:
Over the past few weeks have noticed that engine battery is not fully charging when connected to shore power. It's been sitting at 12.5V while plugged in. When connected the house battery is typically above 13.7V. House batteries have dropped as well (13.2-13.3V). House batteries are brand new and connections tight and clean. Started to think engine batteries are the issue. Looking for date code. Sticker on front shows H6. Does that really mean July 2006?

H6 is August 2016

should be three stamps on the terminal, whats the other ?

YOu can pull the battery and have it shop tested.  But you need to find the converter and measure voltage at the converter output terminals..
Report all 3 voltages to the forum
Converter out
Battery (house)
Battery (Chassis)

If you can find your isolator (Or battery control center)

This is for BCC
Report voltage on the terminals marked
Generator
Aux and:
Main
as well.. A lot of info comes from what the diferent voltages are.

Since both house and chassis batteries are dropping, I doubt if the problem is the chassis battery.  I'm pretty sure your '05 Bounder has a Battery Control Center that manages things and it won't charge the chassis from shore power until the house batteries reach a required threshold. That's typically 13.3v in models of your vintage (some older ones were 13.1v).

You need to verify that the converter/charger is in fact putting out 13.6v or more (the usual  float charge voltage).  The house batteries should be up to that same voltage. It is conceivable on of the new batteries has a bad cell and dragging down the rest.

John From Detroit said:
YOu can pull the battery and have it shop tested.  But you need to find the converter and measure voltage at the converter output terminals..
Converter out
Battery (house)
Battery (Chassis)

This is for BCC
Generator
Aux and:
Main

Thanks John. I will check in the next few days.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Since both house and chassis batteries are dropping, I doubt if the problem is the chassis battery.  I'm pretty sure your '05 Bounder has a Battery Control Center that manages things and it won't charge the chassis from shore power until the house batteries reach a required threshold. That's typically 13.3v in models of your vintage (some older ones were 13.1v).

You need to verify that the converter/charger is in fact putting out 13.6v or more (the usual  float charge voltage).  The house batteries should be up to that same voltage. It is conceivable on of the new batteries has a bad cell and dragging down the rest.

Ok. Thanks. Getting readings now. Having some trouble getting readings from Battery Control Center. Multi-meter is not picking up voltage.

John From Detroit said:
Converter out
Battery (house)
Battery (Chassis)

This is for BCC
Generator
Aux and:
Main

Okay I got the voltages.
Inverter-13.7V
Chasis-13.63 and 13.63
House-a) 6.83V, b)6.83V, c)6.85V d) 6.83V

I was not able to get readings from BCC. Strange, voltmeter did not pick anything up. Readings on display inside coach is now showing 13.5 for engine and 13.5 for house.

Back
Top Bottom