Engine cooling fans stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlk31363

I have a 2004 Winnebago with the 8.1 GM. The engine cooling fans quit working. Anyone else experience this problem and what was the fix?

Be sure your coolant/antifreeze level isn't low.  If it gets too low, it can get below the sensor that controls the fan, and the fan won't come on when it should.  You'll start to run hot at traffic lights when stopped, but the engine will be ok at speed. That's the first sign on my vehicles. The cure is simple... fill the reservoir to the proper level.  If that doesn't cure it, it could be other causes, like a defective sensor, but you might as well check the simple things first.

If fluid level is o.k., check for 12V at the thermostatic switch mounted on the radiator (you'll only read 12V on one of the pins). No power? Check fuses or fusible links. Power? Remove plug from thermostatic switch and jumper the 2 pins in the plug - fans should come on. If they do, you have a bad thermostatic switch. 

Thanks Gentlemen,
We top off the coolant but could not find the sensor to the radiator. Any ideas on where we might locate it? Looked from the front but did not see any wires going to the radiator. My Dad looked under the cover from inside the MH today and said that he didn?t see it on that side ether. I'm off tomorrow so we will look harder.

Look for wires around your coolant reservoir tank, if that's separate from you radiator.  That's where the sensors are on most late-model cars, and also where coolant is added if needed.

Scotty,
Sorry, but that's not the place to look. The coolant recovery tank has nothing to do with controlling engine temperature. It will be a small sensor mounted directly on (into) the radiator. It will normally be near the bottom of the radiator.

Back
Top Bottom