Engines??? ford or chevy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laf426

I was wondering if anyone knows which is a better engine and which would have better gas mileage? Between the ford V8, or the V10 Triton, or the Chevy 7.4L Vortex? I have seen in NADA there is a premium added for the Chevy engine anyone knows why? Dealers usually tell me whatever configuration they happen to have " happens to be the best", what a surprise? Also for all those who Hve owned a 22 to 24 footer, would this be a good first time rig for a family of two adults and three children? Are some brands better than others? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If it helps, my first RV (38 Dolphin) had a Triton V10. It was quiet, reliable, but weak and thirsty. I've always been partial to Ford truck-engine wise, I guess there's more old fords still running than any other brand.  good luck

Ford vs Chevy is a religious issue and there is no "best". 

I believe the NADA premium you are seeing may be for the GM 8.1L Vortec, not the 7.4L. It's an excellent engine and comes with the outstanding Allison 5 speed (6 speed in 2006) transmission. It is a highlydesirable combination and also costs more up front, ergo the price premium.

If I were shopping for a gas powered rig today, I would be happy with either a 8.1L GM with the Allison or a late model V10 with the Ford 5 speed auto.

I guess there's more old fords still running than any other brand.  good luck

Just because Ford says that in their TV adds doesn't really make it a fact.  Besides just how would they know.  I think GM may have just as many or more.

I agree with Gary in that Ford vs Chevy is a religious issue and there is NO "best".  However, based on my experience with Allison transmissions I would choose a vehicle with the Allison over one with a Ford Tranny.

I had a 2003 Winnebago Minnie 24V with a V10 Ford Triton engine. Between 5/20/03 and 1/20/06 I drove it 5760 miles and burned 755 gallons of 87 octane gas. Essentially all of the miles were driven on flat ground and we were not towing a vehicle. The average fuel consumption was 7.64 mpg.

That's why they make different kinds cause I wouldn't ev3n look at a Chev no matter what the price if I had to drive it.

There is a somewhat nasty rumor that Ford and Chevy are talking merger.. And a few industry analysts comments appended that suggest that the devil will be hosting the next world figure skating championship matches before that happens.

I'm inclined to agree with the analysts on that issue.

But it sure would put an end to the Ford/Chevy debates.  We'd all have to go around wearing shirts that say "DODGE BUILDS TOUGH TRUCKS" :)

Since I have done considerable research on used (15-20 yo) Class C MH's lately, I will say that there are without a doubt more Fords still running than Chevys or Dodges.? Newer engines may be different, so draw your own conclusions.? The Fords do have the reputation of leaky exhaust manifold gaskets, which I'm told are pretty likely to fail sometime in the life of the engine.?

laf426, how old are your kids?? That will help determine the comfort level you may find in a 22-24 footer.? That sounds a little small to me.? You can probably find one with enough beds for everyone, but enjoying yourself is another issue.? ;)? If you want a rear bedroom with some aspect of privacy, 26-30 foot may be a better range to look for.? Then again if you're used to tent-camping for instance, a motorhome of any size may seem like the Ritz-Carlton.? ?;D

You may want to see this recent thread discussing the advantages of Class A's and Class C's (if you haven't already decided what style you want).

Wow. After reading the thread and all comments I'm now more confused. My dilemma is a class C seams to be fun for kids. (three boys from 1 1/2 to 9 years old) The reason why were looking for a class C I have read,  most national parks do not admit RV larger than 22 to 24 ft. I also figure after camping in a tent getting around in a minivan a class C would be a tremendous step up. I have not really studied class A's but it seams there are not any between 26 to 29 feet that can accommodate two adults and three boys.

I know what you mean about being overwhelmed.  I'm only slightly further into the buying research phase than you are, and my priorities (and what I'm looking for) have changed a few times.  ;)  I've also learned a tremendous amount from the wonderful folks at this forum, and know that will continue even after I make a purchase (that will happen someday, hehe).  But stick with your gut feeling, if you want a 22-24 ft. Class C then stay focused on that.  Most MH's that I've seen (regardless of size) have three available beds.  A Class C has the cabover, a dinette, and a rear bed for instance.  Or a couch instead of the rear bed sometimes.  A Class A has a dinette, couch, and rear bed.  Sometimes a pull-down single bunk up front by the windshield.  Both styles sometimes have bunks in the back which increase sleeping capacity, especially for kids.  Bottom line is that you've got a lot of options to fit your family, it will just take some shopping around and deciding exactly what features/floorplan you want.

Someone else may have more insight on RV park admittance, but I don't think you'll have a problem getting into most parks with any Class C and most smaller or medium sized Class A's.  It's kind of like the "10 year rule" that some parks have - if your rig is older than 10 years then you cannot camp there.  But it seems most parks don't enforce that rule as long as the rig is well-maintained and decent looking... not some junker that's going to break down at the entrance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom