Entegra Accolade XL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kbeil

I am making a transition to RV ing from the water and thinking of buying a new Entegra. Anyone have any comments to share. Hoping to the roads in this great country soon.
I appreciate your replies

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like a nice Super C. As with most RVs (and boats), a brand new comes with the issue of "breaking in" all the potential wrinkles and shortcomings from the factory. Yes, warranty helps, but it's of little use if it happens to be for components or repairs that can take weeks or even months to fix. The best recipe to ruin your travel plans.

Personally, I'd go for a slightly used model. But it's obviously a buyer's choice.

If the entegra is the one on a freightliner chassis your wanting, seems to be a great RV. Talked to an owner last month about his. Just him and wife and pooch. Says he loves it. It’s my dream RV. Uchu brought up a good point. The new RVs (all of them) seem to suffer from poor QC. If you’re going new, bring someone that knows about rvs. You turn everything on. Open every door. Have them hook up the water to test the water heater. Turn AC on. Check every faucet when water is hooked up. That’s allot of money and would suck to get burned. Another member here had a new drivable rv. His black tank fell off driving down the road weeks after buying it. Read through the forums and you will see some bad stories. Good luck.

To the best of my knowledge, the Entegra has a good reputation and new has some advantages over used since it does have a warranty of 2 years or 24,000 miles. You can check it our via this link if you wish more information. It is a popular thing on this forum to say that a used RV is better, but in my 40+ years of RV experience, that has not been true if you buy an RV with a good reputation from a dealer who has a good reputation.

Mechanically it a Freightliner Custom Chassis S2RV chassis-cab and won't be different than similar models from other builders that use that chassis. It's a solid performing chassis designed or use as the base for a super-C type motorhome. I've not heard any feedback about the Accolade body but Entegra has a decent reputation for their higher end models. Only run-of-the-mill for their lower-priced models, though. When you cut corners to make a cheaper model, somethings are bound to come up short.

It's probably more important that the model you choose is well-suited to your wants & needs. You are choosing a home, so fitting your lifestyle is key. An awkward bathroom or kitchen or lack of storage can be irritating enough that you on't truly enjoy the RV.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

It looks like a nice Super C. As with most RVs (and boats), a brand new comes with the issue of "breaking in" all the potential wrinkles and shortcomings from the factory. Yes, warranty helps, but it's of little use if it happens to be for components or repairs that can take weeks or even months to fix. The best recipe to ruin your travel plans.

Personally, I'd go for a slightly used model. But it's obviously a buyer's choice.
I wholeheartedly concur with buying a well taken care of used over new. There's a very good possibility your first year of owning a new RV will be spent with your RV sitting on the dealers lot waiting for warranty repairs.

Only run-of-the-mill for their lower-priced models, though.
IYO, where does "lower-priced" start at? I wonder if this 160K$ Class A is considered "lower-priced".
With such a wide range of prices, I don't have a clue.

But as you know, this Entegra Class A has had its share of issues. But nothing major, I like this thing overall, despite a few small issues.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

Several years back Entegra was at the top of the class regarding the production of high-end Class A motorhomes. Then Thor bought Jayco, the parent company of Entegra. They started to splash the Entergra name on typical Jayco products like Class C's and Super C's. The original Entegra company did not make either one of those RV classes. Today the Entegra Super C is a re-branded Jayco Seneca gussied up with some peanut butter and jelly to come off as the higher-end Entegra. Many have reported that the ride on a Super C is much harsher than driving a Class A. I would compare if I was spending that kind of money.

I have nothing against Jayco's. They in themselves make pretty good RV's across their product spectrum. If I were to ever downsize to a Class C I would definitely have Jayco's Redhawks on my list of desirable rigs.

IYO, where does "lower-priced" start at? I wonder if this 160K$ Class A is considered "lower-priced".
With such a wide range of prices, I don't have a clue.
Not sure what the $160k (actual or MSRP?) pertains to, but the base Accolade MSRP starts around $325k and easily hits $400k. The upper tier for a Super-C diesel is 2x that and can hit 3x at the extreme. $160k sounds more like a low-to-mid range gas chassis class A or larger gas class C.

For most of us it's difficult to categorize something that cost $160k as "low end" or "entry level", but it has to be put into perspective vs the the range that is available in the market.

For most of us it's difficult to categorize something that cost $160k as "low end" or "entry level",
I think part of the problem is the age that most of us are. My kids define cheap and reasonable prices much differently than I do. You and I can remember when one could get the top-of-the-line gas coach for $150k or less and even an upper priced pusher was around $200k, if we ignore brands like Newell and Marathon. :sneaky:

My kids define cheap and reasonable prices much differently than I do.
Yeah, we like to remember old prices, but not our old wages. Younger people have no older prices to compare to--or not by much.

Gasoline price in 1965 when I started to drive, was 31 cents per gallon average in the USA. $3.519 is the average USA price today. 897% inflation rate since 1965. Gas price today should average $3.09 today going by the inflation rate. So it's now a little more expensive, but not by a whole lot--except for here in CA! $4.701 is CA average for today.

The 43-cent difference today would be a difference of 4 cents in 1965, so we are paying 35 cents today instead of 31 cents, in 1965 money.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

Not sure what the $160k (actual or MSRP?) pertains to
I paid $161,500.00 out the door for this. I don't recall the prices before they pad the bill as those are not what I am paying.

But yeah, I also assumed this would be between low and medium price-wise, as I see a lot of ~40' diesel pushers and I know those are much more expensive than this thing.

FWIW, I would have considered a small diesel if there were any in a short Class A--at least if it were not too loud. Sometimes I like to be able the hear the music from my USB drives.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

The Freightliner S2RV chassis is among the entry, non-pickup truck based medium duty Super C's. International also makes a cab-and-chassis in a similar realm, it's not very common though. The S2RV is a good chassis, but again, market range, it's the gateway to much more expensive Super C's.

Ride quality in a Super C is a consideration. It's a heavier truck chassis and you're going to have leaf springs up front. Most of the entry Super-C's do not have a floating cab nor do most of them have air-ride seats. The seats are bolted directly to the cab floor.

I would assume $160k is used. In most cases it's not the chassis that concerns me, but the coach builder and general quality, and the quality of the specific rig being considered. I think OP would do himself a service by visiting some brand/model-specific boards and poking around. Not many Super C folks around here with direct experience.

I am making a transition to RV ing from the water ......
liveaboard cruiser? topic for another thread I suppose, but I have daydreamed a bit about retiring to a trawler for a few years. Wife isn't onboard with that idea though....
What sort of boat? How extensive were your tavels?

liveaboard cruiser? topic for another thread I suppose, but I have daydreamed a bit about retiring to a trawler for a few years. Wife isn't onboard with that idea though....
What sort of boat? How extensive were your tavels?
I can imagine the look you got. I'd like to move to GB and putter around the canals in one of those long boats. But convincing the wife to live in a 6' x 50' boat where we don't even speak the language is not working.

Thank you for all of your posts. I will definitely stay at the dealer site and run everything for a couple of days before hitting the roads.

For most of us it's difficult to categorize something that cost $160k as "low end" or "entry level",
I think it depends on if one is a full-timer. I would expect a full-timer to have a more expensive RV than a part-timer.

IMO, this motorhome would be a cheap one for a full-timer, but not so much for a part-timer who still owns a house (or two).

Some sell their homes to buy their RV to live in. As you know, some people find that to be a mistake after a few months, others do not. Perhaps most of those who do not find it to be a mistake bought a more expensive, larger RV to fulltime in.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

One of the considerations for full-time living in a coach is if you buy a new coach, understanding if the warranty is voided for most/all of the coach if you live in it full time.

My experience with Thor brands is they are not warrantied for full-time living.

I think it depends on if one is a full-timer. I would expect a full-timer to have a more expensive RV than a part-timer.

IMO, this motorhome would be a cheap one for a full-timer, but not so much for a part-timer who still owns a house (or two).
It's certainly easier for a fulltimer to justify a more expensive rig, but I was thinking more about the notion that anything costing $160k should be expected to be less than perfect in terms of quality of materials, construction and features. Unless your name is Zuckerberg or Musk, that's a LOT OF MONEY to spend so your expectations are naturally quite high. However, the facts are that $160k isn't much money to build ALL the things that go into a class A motorhome and do a top notch job of each. The differences between a $160k coach and a $400k coach are a lot more than some fancy trim and a diesel engine. And even $400k doesn't get you perfection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom