Escapee email problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

All of a sudden my Office Outlook refuses to send email using my Outllook settings.  And now I have monkeyed around with them so much I cannot remember how I originally set it up for outgoing mail.  My incoming mail works fine.  Can anyone tell me how to set up the outgoing mail to work with Office Outlook?

Smoky, if you have automatic updates turned on for Microsoft, you likely have downloaded and installed IE7.  If so, try to un-install it.  That update is causing all sorts of problems.  Been working on my Daughters computer for two days now.  Had to reinstall XP, then all the other software she had.  IE7 put her system in a continuous loop.

Good luck,

Rex

Smoky:

I would sure do more checking on the settings in Outlook before I removed IE7. I am using IE7 with Outlook with no problems although with a different email provider.

IE7 has been on my PC for more than a month now with no problems.  Jeff is right.

Turns out the problem was that since I returned from Algodones, I was too lazy to set up my Internet Sat dish.  Instead I was mooching off the unsecured wireless of one of my neighbors here in the park.  They were using a service that required a specific ISP for outgoing mail.  Heh!  When I switched to my Verizon MOK, all my accumulated outgoing mail took right off.

I will be setting up my Internet dish today!  ;D

I wish I had a Motosat.  :-[

Smoky:

You can set the SMTP server settings to the Escapees SMTP server while on another ISP and your mail will still go out.

Jeff Cousins said:
You can set the SMTP server settings to the Escapees SMTP server while on another ISP and your mail will still go out.

Not necessarily true.  Some ISPs will block port 25 to prevent sending email via any SMTP server but theirs.  To get around that restriction,  some SMTP servers will also accept email on port 26 or the TSL port 587, like GMail.  That's one of the advantages of a Gmail account you can use the Gmail SMTP server from any ISP and they can't block it as it's encrypted.

Ned is right.  I was indeed being blocked by my neighbor's ISP, whatever it is I do not know.  In fact, I thought I was on my own Hughes ISP and the problem reminded me I had to once again climb up on the roof.  LOL!  ;D  I do use Escapees and it works fine on Hughes and Verizon.

Ned, is there a way of getting around CompuServe block on outgoing mail?  As I understand it, it is not the ISP, but CompuServe that does the blocking on their ISP mail.  I do not understand the technical explanation, but I can receive compuserve mail on Hughes and Verizon, but I cannot send it out.

I suspect Compuserve won't accept any outgoing (SMTP) mail from outside of their network.  Set up the Escapees SMTP server and use for all outgoing mail, regardless of how you're connecting to the internet.  Then the only time you'll have a problem is when the ISP is blocking port 25.  If you want a permanent solution, get a Gmail account and use their SMTP server.  It's not only encrypted using TLS but I have never run into an ISP that blocks it.

Smoky,
If you have Verizon service, you can also try their outging smtp...smtp.vzwmail.net.

Thanks Ned.  I have gmail as well, so I will remember to use that as my ultimate backup.  Bruce I used to use smtp.vzmail.net, but then they cut it off for backdoor access.

smtp.hughes.net will work with hughesnet but won't when he's connecting via a campground WiFi.  The Gmail solution will work all the time.

Ned said:
smtp.hughes.net will work with hughesnet but won't when he's connecting via a campground WiFi.  The Gmail solution will work all the time.

Ned:

I use the Hughes SMTP server in Outlook and when I use Verizon for a connection my mail is going out.

Then Hughesnet must be using an authenticated SMTP server.  That's good.

I suspect Compuserve won't accept any outgoing (SMTP) mail from outside of their network.  Set up the Escapees SMTP server and use for all outgoing mail, regardless of how you're connecting to the internet.  Then the only time you'll have a problem is when the ISP is blocking port 25.  If you want a permanent solution, get a Gmail account and use their SMTP server.  It's not only encrypted using TLS but I have never run into an ISP that blocks it.

I'm still a classic compuserve user.  When I'm home and connecting through my cable company I use TBird to receive (Compuserve pop) and send (cable company's mail SMTP).

On my current trip all worked well until cable company got wise and cut me off relaying.  So then I installed postcast server and so far nothing has been blocked.  I've no idea how postcast compares to gmail, but I don't plan on trying gmail until postcast breaks irrevocably.

Ciao,

Doug

Postcast is a local SMTP server that runs on your computer.  As long as it doesn't get flagged as a relay server by the other SMTP servers, it's fine.  Also, some servers won't accept mail from SMTP servers if they can't be identified as such and may drop any incoming mail from them so be sure all your email is actually being delivered.  There are several schemes being put in use to identify legitimate email servers and eventually all local SMTP servers, like Postcast, will become unusable.

Gmail, on the other hand, is an email service, complete with web mail, POP3, and SMTP services.

Thanks for the clarification, Ned.  When squeezed hard enough I'll get to Gmail :)

Ciao,

Doug

Back
Top Bottom