Establishing domicile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoky

The original content of this message was deleted by the poster without a heads up to the forum staff. I discovered the deletion by accident almost 3 years later. With some timely notice, we could have substituted something that fits with the responses that folks have taken the time to post.

Apologies folks; You'll have to use the subject line to make your best guess what the original question was.

I've locked the topic top prevent further removal of content.

Tom
RV Forum Admin.

You won't get legal advice here since we're not lawyers, but I can make a few suggestions.  Have you checked with the MT DMV about the order of registering and getting a driver's license?  In TX, for instance, you can't get the DL until all your vehicles are registered in TX.  Where are you buying the motor home?  If in MD, then you don't want to take delivery there.  Find out what the requirements are for keeping it out of state to avoid the sales tax.  If you bring it back to MD to soon you may still be liable for the taxes and registration.  You may not get caught but do you want to take the gamble?

You may want to do some more diligence with both a MD and a MT lawyer before proceeding.

Smoky,

I don't think I would take delivery in Md.  I'm not a lawyer but I suspect you could be liable for the sales tax in MD if you take delivery there.  I don't think you will have any problem in Mt.  but it might be a good idea to ask your sister if there is anything required to get your license.  You may be able to fly out and get your license as planned with no probem but if you take delivery in MD you could possibly get hooked for the taxes.

I just forked up a grand to resolve these issues.? Very interesting and it turns out there really is a use for attorneys after all, as few of us really know the answer to this question.

It appears that MD has a more enlightened attitude toward these transactions than some other states :)  The $1000 was well-spent.

Insurance is whole other can of worms :)

Good news for you Smoky. Glad you finally got to the answer.

Smoky said:
I just forked up a grand to resolve these issues.  Very interesting and it turns out there really is a use for attorneys after all, as few of us really know the answer to this question.

Smoky

A lot of us have been trying to tell you that for quite a while. You now have information that you can count on FOR YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION. I can tell you that if you bought and took delivery of a coach today from a dealer in Arizona or Indiana, the answer would be different. You would have to pay the local sales tax before you drove away. Other states may be the same. MD apparantly is different. I believe that it may be similar in the NY City tri-state area. The answer is "there is no one answer".

Smoky,

That is good news.  It is pretty much what I expected for Montana as you probably seen from my previous posts.  I just didn't have any idea what MD would do.  Since you have established Montana residence let me be one of the first MT property owners to welcome you.  WELCOME TO MONTANA.

Smoky said:
The hardest part of this, amazingly, is getting the insurance set.

Smoky,

As Ben Matlock said, ain't nuthin easy.  :)

Phil

Smokey

I would set up a account at a local bank & have your retirement checks (if you have any) deposited there. I also had my? Smith Barney stock broker who resides in Ca. get acredited to do business in South Dakota where I domicile. All transactions from him go to SD. I chose not to registar to vote so I wouldn't be called for Jury duty.

Terry

Smoky said:
Terry:

That is interesting about jury duty.? I would hate to get called into Montana in January for jury duty.? I wonder if extended travel outside the state is a good enough excuse to be released?

Sometimes it is but you it would be no different than if you were on an extended cruise and were called.  I think that is just one thing to deal with IF or When it happens.

We have found the Florida court system to be accomodating as far as re-scheduling jury duty when we are away from home.  We tell them we are away and ask for another date, which has always been granted.    But Florida is used to part-time residents whereas other jurisdictions may not be.  And I don't think "we are never in Montana" would be an acceptable excuse, but it is really up to the individual court clerk.

One problem is that you may not receive the notice in time to arrange another date. 10-14 days is fairly typical notice (it will vary by state and the court system calling for jurors) and we often go 3 weeks between mails. My BIL handles our mail, tho, so he usually recognises such things and alerts us.

Well. maybe  won't register.  Not happy with that solution.  Surely others here have had to deal with this and can share experiences?

I am not positive but I think the prospective Jury pool is taken from the voters registration as is SD.  I have been told that Texas uses the drivers license roster.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Besides why register to vote the only choices we have any more is who we belive to be the lessor of the evils. ;D

Smoky

>> I wonder if extended travel outside the state is a good enough excuse to be released?<<

Don't know about other states, but there was a couple on this forum that had to go back to SD in the winter time as the state would not allow a change. As usual contact your State for their rules.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

I think the couple Terry alludes to had recieved a call to duty earlier that was postponed to a later date and SD was not going to extend again.  Maybe He will see this post and give us the facts.  We have received notices but just called and let them know we are out of the state on extended travel and they have never had a problem with it.  I just wouldn't let it concern me if you get called and are not in the area just tell them that.  If they insist you be there, which I doubt they will, just ask them to provide airfare round trip from where your at.
I have never received a jury notice in Mt.

I have never received a jury notice in Mt.

Jury, in Mt? I thought they strung 'em up from the nearest tree without a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom