Eternabond and Tioga roof questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdfuller

After doing my research - it seems Eternabond is a great product and right up my alley (less maintenance).  I am wondering how much of the old caulk/sealant I need to remove before putting this down.  Some places say put it right over it and some say remove as much as you can.  I am also wondering what cleaner I should use before I put it down.  It is going on a 2000 Tioga with a rubber roof (I think).  I called my dealer and asked if I could walk on the roof and he said no problem it should support 1200 pounds!?!  Is he full of it?  Is it safe for me to walk on (270 pounds)?  Any other pointers before I go with Eternabond?

mdfuller said:
After doing my research - it seems Eternabond is a great product and right up my alley (less maintenance).  I am wondering how much of the old caulk/sealant I need to remove before putting this down.  Some places say put it right over it and some say remove as much as you can.  I am also wondering what cleaner I should use before I put it down.  It is going on a 2000 Tioga with a rubber roof (I think).  I called my dealer and asked if I could walk on the roof and he said no problem it should support 1200 pounds!?!  Is he full of it?  Is it safe for me to walk on (270 pounds)?  Any other pointers before I go with Eternabond?

I would try to remove as much sealant as possible. Eternabond should work OK with sealant but I think you'll get a better seal if the surface is flatter. I wouldn't worry about digging all of it out of the joints. Just try to make it smoother. Take your time and be sure it adheres tightly. I would use a good rubber roof cleaner. Protectall has one but I've never used it. I would think it would do the job.

Most motorhome roofs are save to walk on. If you don't feel comfortable about it you could place a piece of plywood on it so it would help distribute any weight but I don't think that is really necessary. As far as supporting 1200 lbs I'd be rather leary of it. :)

Thanks!  I will get as much old sealant off as I can.  If Eternabond is as good as people say it is I will be very happy!

George of Tioga and George used Eternabond to seal his Tioga roof a while back. His description is at http://vagabonders-supreme.net/eternabond.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom