Eternabond Patching Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalman RVer

I have heard it discussed on this site about being a good idea to carry some roof repair tape, just to have on hand, so looked on line & there appears to be lots of options.

About 2 weeks ago when in the RV we head a strange noise on the roof a few times & I went outside to investigate & a couple of crows flew away.  I climbed up on the rubber membrane roof & discovered where they were trying to break a green pear apart on the roof & left it behind in their haste!  This got me thinking about roof repairs!!

Wondering what may be a good all purpose tape to get & what the shelf life of it may be, just to have & keep on hand for emergency repairs?

The link below has several options to choose from...????..any ideas about what is a good all purpose tape?

https://www.amazon.ca/EternaBond-RSW-4-50-White-Roof-Seal/dp/B002RSIK4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535575026&sr=8-2&keywords=eternabond

That Eternabond tape is the best sealing tape ever.  It ain't cheap but it's worth it.

And it lasts almost indefinitely. I usually put it in a zip lock bag, both to help it out and to prevent other stuff from clinging to the side of the roll.  Another tip is to simply cut off a couple of feet and bag that. Enough for an emergency repair without carrying the large roll around.

I purchased some roof repair "tape" from the local RV dealer.  Caught a tree limb and tore a small 2" hole in my roof.  Repair has been on for 4 years now and holding up well.  Always carry some "tape" along with a new tube of self-leveling caulk.  Just in case.

Wi1dBi11

If you get caught without Eternabond and need a temporary fix till you can get some, put on some duct tape. Great for a quick, temporary fix.

I found myself stranded with a small tear turned large due to driving down the road.  Temp fix was some mineral spirits to clean all the oxidation - then gorilla tape.  Got me home.

Then pulled the gorilla and cleaned with rubbing alcohol.  Eternabond to the rescue.  Sealed what was a pretty large area of roof pulling back....a good 3x5' piece.

We'll see how it hold....should be fine.

When I looked on Amazon, there were several variations of the Eternabond product, so for example this one "EternaBond RSW-4-50 White Roof Seal " caught my eye.... would that be an ok choice to order?

Also, any special prep reqd to clean the area to patch when required, or just soap & water & make sure it is clean & dry before applying?

Just wanted to carry some in the RV for emergency repairs, no immediate need for now...??.

I comes in several widths. That is probably 4 inch wide tape. I bought several rolls of 6 inch to make some repairs. Instructions say to clean the area with mineral spirits, apply the tape, then use a roller to adhere the tape. I carry a few foot piece on board, as others have said in case of emergency. The wider the better really. You can always cut it smaller if needed.

Back
Top Bottom