eTrailer - just, wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Doing a brake job on my fiver and although I think the brakes were just out of adjustment and the parts probably didn't need replacement, based on poor brake performance, lack of full shoe contact and a little rust making things not move quite the way I think they should, I'm replacing all the brake assemblies for a fresh start. Bearing repack as well.

Went to eTrailer.com thinking I'd just put in my trailer and there would be the parts, not the way it worked (for me). Apparently there are so many trailer brands they aren't really interested in brand/model/etc. Instead they want to know axle rating, hub diameter, shoe width and a couple other details.

Was on the phone for about half an hour with very courteous and helpful stateside customer service agent as we confirmed every part and various options (for example, I'm putting self adjusting brakes on). Placed the order Tuesday, free shipping since it was over $99. Order shipped 90 minutes later. Email with shipping info separated each part out, providing a video link on how to install. For each part. Tracking info (UPS) was also included, with shipment current location map and step by step location all integrated into the eTrailer order web page. Shipment arrived this afternoon, about 46 hours after order placement.

Total cost for four wheels, complete self adjusting brake assemblies, inner seals, wire retaining clips, nut retainers and a couple extra packages of heat shrink butt connectors, $242.  :))

There are hundreds of trailer brands and models and they all use just a few different axles.  There is no point in keeping a database of all the various trailers, especially when you consider model years.

lynnmor said:
There are hundreds of trailer brands and models and they all use just a few different axles.  There is no point in keeping a database of all the various trailers, especially when you consider model years.

Yes, I was surprised at first but I get it, makes sense. I pulled a wheel before I called so was able to give them the Dexter part numbers for the brake assemblies and inner seals, which helped.

I have always had excellent service from eTrailer.  They are top shelf when it comes to parts and customer service.  They get it done right.

phil-t said:
I have always had excellent service from eTrailer.  They are top shelf when it comes to parts and customer service.  They get it done right.
This, and their educational/instructional videos are first-rate.

phil-t said:

Except the Chinese wheel bearings, that I bought with complete assemblies, were manufactured poorly and failed immediately.  They sell what is available and it may be junk like any other store sells.

Love doing business with eTrailer. I have even paid a little bit more in price because I knew I would have the right part, on time and tech support if needed.

They are a GREAT resource for anyone pulling a trailer.

lynnmor said:
Except the Chinese wheel bearings, that I bought with complete assemblies, were manufactured poorly and failed immediately.  They sell what is available and it may be junk like any other store sells.

That's the one thing I'm not replacing, the bearings. My rig is only 5 years old and the bearings appear nearly new on the wheel I pulled. If I do end up needing some, will be purchasing Timken

Back2PA said:
That's the one thing I'm not replacing, the bearings. My rig is only 5 years old and the bearings appear nearly new on the wheel I pulled. If I do end up needing some, will be purchasing Timken

Excellent!

I was very disappointed to see bearings with no packaging when I purchased entire brake and drum assemblies from eTrailer.  I considered tossing them right away, but thought that might be too much paranoia.  Well I took one very long trip them checked the bearings and found one with a ridge on the inner race and four with failing rollers.  That is five out of eight with gray metallic grease that could have been a catastrophic failure had I not checked.  Yes, I do know what I am doing and have equipment to measure and test the parts.    All bearings were replaced with Timken.

I too am an etrailer fan, and Timken bearing fan. Both have served me well over the years.
The etrailer website appeared difficult to navigate at first, however once I stopped doing it my way and followed their path things went smoothly. I did a ton of research before I bought my items and there website was a great resource, including the installation videos, and the customer feedback, installation pictures.

Back
Top Bottom