EVs and Pedestrians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said you could probably speed through a school zone most of your life and not get caught.
Not in Nevada. Good chance a cop is hiding somewhere. And the school zone speed limit in Nevada is 15 MPH if kids are seen or not.

But the school zone speed limit is only for certain times on weekdays and have flashing warning lights.

And BTW, don't try to go 18 MPH, you will then get busted. NV takes school zones very seriously. The school zone ends where you see a sign that says "end school zone". Then the normal speed limit again.

-Don- Auburn, CA

But a "stupid cop" can cite anybody for anything. But perhaps they are not that stupid, but just feel they need to give a few more tickets so it looks like they are doing their job on the slower days.

-Don- Auburn, CA

That's been a change around here since Covid. Rarely do I see officers tagging or doing speed enforcement. Sometimes on the freeway. And there's this one little town, Black Diamond, where they are always doing speed enforcement, but that's been happening there for years.

Except the one time that I was out tooling around recently, wind blowing in my hair, and a State Trooper picked me up, whoopsie! He was a nice gentleman, friendly, and let me go with a verbal warning.

That's been a change around here since Covid. Rarely do I see officers tagging or doing speed enforcement.
Why has that changed since covid?

I recall near the Oregon/Wash border, in WA, many were getting tickets during the 55-MPH national speed limit days. Tom & I discovered that the hard way. Also, many others I knew from CA got a ticket at the same spot.

But that was a while back. WA used to be very strict on speed enforcement in the Vancouver, WA area.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Why has that changed since covid?

I recall near the Oregon/Wash border, in WA, many were getting tickets during the 55-MPH national speed limit days. Tom & I discovered that the hard way. Also, many others I knew from CA got a ticket at the same spot.

But that was a while back. WA used to be very strict on speed enforcement in the Vancouver, WA area.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I don't know, that's just the point in time it seemed to change. There was a short while post-covid that the Washington State Patrol did speeding enforcement emphasis on interstates and highways because people came out of Covid driving like maniacs. The State Patrol doesn't pay well, and even with incentives, Seattle PD can't fill all its open positions. Maybe fewer people want to be officers? Don't know.. That would make sense, most available resources are doing things other than speed enforcement.

Maybe that’s true in your state, but not here in WA. If there is a “When children are present” sign only, it means when there are children using the crosswalks or shoulders along the roadway within the posted school zone.

Theres an unwritten rule…if you are a commercial driver, there is always a kid in the school zone.

It’s actually not the school zones that annoy me, it’s the drivers who don’t think the law applies to them. Even if there are no children, but there is a sign that says school zone 20mph (when light is flashing) and the light is flashing, someone is usually trying to push me down the road because I’ll actually do 20mph from sign to sign while the person behind me comes unglued.
This is/was in California, where I was a LEO for many years before I retired. Whether you are aware of it or not, if there is one kid on school grounds anytime day or night you can get cited for going over whatever the "Children Present" speed limit is.

No sane cop is going to ticket you for it, but the letter of the law says he can.

Not in Nevada. Good chance a cop is hiding somewhere. And the school zone speed limit in Nevada is 15 MPH if kids are seen or not.
When I lived in Albuquerque in the 1970s, there was always a crossing guard at school zones when active -- at times there would also be a police car near, but the guard would report it when anyone went appreciably faster than the 15 mph in the active zone, and the guard actually stopped traffic for the kid's crossing, too.

Oh I remember Crossing Guard...I did that as a student along with other students and a group of parents and teachers in school. The State Patrol handed out little badges (issued by AAA) and I think I've still got mine somewhere :geek:

When I lived in Albuquerque in the 1970s, there was always a crossing guard at school zones when active -- at times there would also be a police car near, but the guard would report it when anyone went appreciably faster than the 15 mph in the active zone, and the guard actually stopped traffic for the kid's crossing, too.
Texas has crossing guards in front of schools. The crosswalks that are in school zones but not necessarily near the school are unmanned but there sometimes can be a cop lurking about. We also have blinking yellow lights to warn drivers when they are entering a school zones during morning and afternoon hours when school starts and ends. Fines are hefty too.

Texas has crossing guards in front of schools. The crosswalks that are in school zones but not necessarily near the school are unmanned but there sometimes can be a cop lurking about. We also have blinking yellow lights to warn drivers when they are entering a school zones during morning and afternoon hours when school starts and ends. Fines are hefty too.
When I was in grade school (5th grade) the crossing guards were all students - I was one of them. We got out of class about 20 minutes early, then we were (at least I was) handed keys that unlocked a box on the side of the traffic light pole about a block from the school on a fairly busy street. Inside the box was a switch that deactivated the actual traffic lights and switched power to a small handle that when pulled a "Stop!" sign would pop up that looked like the current ones you see on school buses.

Looking back, I'm assuming it was so that the kids didn't have to wait for the light to change because if they did there might be 50 of them at the corner before it turned green and not all of them would make it across before it turned red again. As soon as a half dozen or so got to the corner, I would pull the handle, the sign would go up, and the kids then crossed. I don't recall any adults around, just us kids. This was in Tracy, CA in 1968.

Remember Corral Hollow Road? Back in those days, that was a snake crossing on warm nights. Where the first desert snake species could be found east of the SF Bay Area, such as the Long-nosed Snake and Glossy Snake.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I was seldom over that far west, but the quickest way to get from my house to Corral Hollow by car was north to Lowell and then west and took about 5 minutes; a kid on a bike could cut straight across and make it in about the same amount of time. I lived on E Beverly Place, just north of Lincoln Park. The school I attended was Central Elementary School on E Eaton Ave, and that stop light/corner I had the key to was the intersection of E Eaton and Holly Dr. I'll assume they don't do it that way these days. Too much liability having a 10-year-old controlling traffic and being responsible for other kid's lives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom