EVs on ferries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasillaguy

Those planning trips with their EV will want to keep tabs on this subject. This looks to be the first, but will likely catch on.
https://rairfoundation.com/fire-hazard-norweigen-shipping-company-first-to-ban-electric-cars-on-ferries/

Meh. They’ll just have to take the electric ferry. 😂.

90 percent of all vehicles sold in Norway are electric. If Ferry’s want to stay in business they’ll figure it out. 😊.

And during our various ferry crossings on the island and the Sunshine Coast this past fall there were tons of EV’s on the BC ferries. Some of us pulling trailers.

Here we are in the belly of the beasts.

D948B609-7FC3-48B0-9718-ADCF2B28DBB7.jpeg

3820F823-840E-4295-8C58-419A9715920C.jpeg

E209F97B-0851-4D91-A174-39941E6CF46F.jpeg

And apparently there has been some discussion about charge facilities for those waiting to board. Kinda cool. It would be in this area where we all line up.

1C0D2DEA-8343-4A85-99A8-29B93F71A851.jpeg

Attachments

• FBBA5BF1-6954-4A65-9D6E-4027B5BBC786.jpeg
    FBBA5BF1-6954-4A65-9D6E-4027B5BBC786.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 2
Those planning trips with their EV will want to keep tabs on this subject. This looks to be the first, but will likely catch on.
I was expecting it to say something about the extra weight, which could make some sense. But vehicle fires?

Perhaps if the banned Hybrids it would make a little sense.

Are they also banning gas cars for the much larger fire threat? Okay, EV fires can be more difficult to put out but:
1674420246594.png

-Don- Reno, NV

Electric vehicle emergency plug.

""If it's a 'normal' combustion car, you can kind of anticipate the hazards," said Newton Fire Capt. Phillip McCully. "With an electric vehicle, because they run so quiet, you almost can't anticipate the sudden vehicle movements."

The device is already in use by first responders in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. McCully was inspired to learn more about it after a New York City firefighter was injured responding to an electric vehicle crash in 2022. The firefighter did not know the vehicle was still in drive, and was hurt when it began moving."

Electric vehicle emergency plug.
What does it plug into? There is no OBD2 connector on EVs. Tesla has a connector under the rear passenger seat to open the contractor for the HV battery, but if it's unplugged, then there is no need for such a gadget, AFAIK.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
What does it plug into? There is no OBD2 connector on EVs. Tesla has a connector under the rear passenger seat to open the contractor for the HV battery, but it it's unplugged, then there is no need for such a gadget, AFAIK.

-Don- Reno, NV
That and if no one is in the drivers seat…it’s in park.

That and if no one is in the drivers seat…it’s in park.

What does it plug into?

Based on the diagram on the plug box it looks like it plugs into the outside charging port.

How does one know it's in park?

In a serious accident situation an injured/deceased driver may have their foot pinned down on the accelerator.

The crisis is over. The mayors of the communities being served raised holy hell. The ferry company was relieved of its duty and another company is serving those communities.

Based on the diagram on the plug box it looks like it plugs into the outside charging port.
If the charge door is open, the car will not move, stays in park and gives a warning on the screen when you try to shift out of park, which is what it will not do. That is probably all the plug does. IOW, no electrical connection from the plug to the car, it only forces the charge door to stay open as that is all that is necessary to force the car to stay in park.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Two reasons for the ferry ban.
With the car just sitting there doing nothing, not being charged or moved, the odds of the EV battery catching fire is about zero.

I kinda doubt if it will ever happen that a ferry catches fire because of an EV,

Perhaps if the ferry is already on fire and that fire gets to the EV.

IAC, they should have onboard whatever is possible to deal with any type of fire. I agree EV battery fires can be more difficult, but it is so unlikely to happen.

-Don- Reno, NV

Fear is often irrational. It's human nature to ignore the danger that is familiar and panic at the unfamiliar. So vehicles carrying 15-20 gallons each of highly volatile gasoline are OK but lithium batteries are too dangerous to allow. Probably would have liked to ban cell phones & laptops too.

Fear is often irrational.
And a big part of that fear is the fear of change! I got my first driver's license in 1956 and my first car in 1958 and I am very glad that the car I drive today is different. While I'm not ready to buy and EV, I am willing to accept that they are coming and getting to be more common.

The news media doesn't help. For an example, many believe EV fires are more common than ICE fires. Unlike EV fires, gas fires are too common to be news.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Fear is often irrational. It's human nature to ignore the danger that is familiar and panic at the unfamiliar. So vehicles carrying 15-20 gallons each of highly volatile gasoline are OK but lithium batteries are too dangerous to allow. Probably would have liked to ban cell phones & laptops too.
I can remember when airlines banned cell phones and laptops, didn't last long though.
A lithium battery fire is very difficult to extinguish, plus the danger to firefighters from battery arcing and shorting.
I agree about gasoline, we have became so complacent we forget just how dangerous it actually is to humans; but there are the constant comments about how dangerous LP is to use while traveling.
Remember the number of Tesla battery fires several years ago, those cars were parked.

I can remember when airlines banned cell phones and laptops, didn't last long though.
A lithium battery fire is very difficult to extinguish, plus the danger to firefighters from battery arcing and shorting.
I agree about gasoline, we have became so complacent we forget just how dangerous it actually is to humans; but there are the constant comments about how dangerous LP is to use while traveling.
Remember the number of Tesla battery fires several years ago, most of those those cars were parked.

Back
Top Bottom