Exaust pipe rubbing against rear axle shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeworX

My exhaust pipe is rubbing against the rear axle shaft esp when I go around corners. After inspecting I can't see how to make an adjustment. Would a hammer help? :) There appears to be another 'bracket' on the pipe but I cannot see where this one would attach to the body. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• From above, exhaust on the right.JPG
    From above, exhaust on the right.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 48
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Exhaust pip with clamp.JPG
    Exhaust pip with clamp.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 46
Hey Mike,

You certainly can try to move the exhaust pipe out of the way, get a big ratchet strap, attach to appropriate points and crank away.  Could be that your exhaust is not OEM and wasn't an exact replacement or maybe something happened to move the exhaust out of position.

Thanks John - do you mean to bend it out of the way or to brace it out of the way with the strap? In that case it would have to be a heat resistant solution. I tried moving the pipe by hand and the entire exhaust components (muffler etc) moves. Could there be a chance it might snap at the muffler?

Mike - use the ratchet strap to persuade the pipe out of the way, then remove.  You'll have to look at the entire system and see where the exhaust hangars are located and pull at the best place to gain clearance from the axle.  Also inspect the hangars (attached to the frame or body), you might be able to bend the hangar enough in the appropriate direction to gain drive shaft clearance.

if it moves more than just a little wiggle by hand you've probably had more than one hanger/fastener fail. if system still has life in it would be best to investigate full system and rehang it. a wobbly exhaust is on the verge of self destruction.

Mike

Looking at your number 2 photo, there should be 2 hangers attached to the exhaust pipe there.
One on each side of the pipe.  You might Be able to use a universal hanger from a pea ts store and attach
It to the rubber donut on the bracket that you have, this would pull the entire system away from the
Driveshaft.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom