Exercsing the Genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom:  I can't remember if I've asked for new schematics, but I may contact the plant and ask for a complete new manual.  Maybe they've improved on it. 

Just finished lashing my Flambeau Bazuka fishing rod case to the cargo rack of my toad.  My custom made sewer hose fits in there perfectly, and the case looks nicer than PVC.  I'm going to drive it around town for a couple days to make sure it stays in place.  I like finding uses for things.  My next project is to find a relatively small bbq cover that will fit over my all-in-one printer.  I saw a great little cover at Camping World today, but it was too small. 

But I digress from the generator maintenance issue.  I picked up a Motorhome and a Trailer Life Magazine at CW today.  I think it was the MH that has an article on genset maintenance, complete with pictures. 

Also, one of the letters in the Hot Line column was interesting.  Apparently the ballast in the Thin-Lite flourescent lights made in 2000 and 2001  puts out RF interference which compromises performance by the Intellitec systems in some RVs.  So those of us with those model years could be having odd problems.  One guy's air conditioner compressor kept shutting down.  I haven't noticed that.  Anyway, I thought it worth mentioning.  I don't think I have Intellitec.  At least one RV manufacturer has switched from Thin-Lite to some other brand.  I do know I have lots of problems with one flourescent light, but they didn't start until after a year.  The replacement light (the old one quit working altogether) makes a loud buzz when it's not the only 12v appliance on.  The guy with the air conditioner issue didn't start experiencing problems right away either.  He was given multiple diagnoses and ended up replacing the old air conditioner for no reason before he found out about the Thin-Lite issue. 

--pat

Oh golly I can't wait to get started.  Reading Pat's adventures on improvising gets me all excited.

The bad news is that they keep delaying my delivery.

It is frustrating because I SAW my finished MH at the factory 2 weeks ago.  All it needed was the full body paint job.  Originally Newmar said it wouod ship Monday.  Then yesterday.  Today they skipped a day and said it would ship tomorrow.  If it ships tomorrow the dealer gets it on Friday, and prep it on Friday and Saturday.  Then they are closed Sunsday and Monday.

We are now on for doing my pre acceptance inspection next Tuesday afternoon, and the dealer walkthrough on Wednesday.

I am going ahead and making motel reservations.  I tried to hint to the dealer it would be nice if they let us sleep overnight on the coach, but they did not take the hint.

Smoky,

I think I would insist on sleeping in the coach since it will give you mopre time to look over things and try things out.

I think their plan is to have us sleep on it after their day of show and tell.  Maybe I should insist on writing the check after a good night sleep on the coach?

Of course, then the head and the kitchen would have been "used" making it harder to resell if we backed out.

Smoky said:
I think their plan is to have us sleep on it after their day of show and tell.  Maybe I should insist on writing the check after a good night sleep on the coach?

Of course, then the head and the kitchen would have been "used" making it harder to resell if we backed out.

Smoky

Dealers run the gamut from one extreme to the other. I have heard that Lazy Days won't even let you into the coach until you have handed over your check. On the other hand, Bankston Motors in Huntsville, AL is just the opposite. We bought the TS from him at the FMCA rally in Perry, GA 3 years ago off display. As soon as the show closed they moved the coach to where we could start transferring our stuff from the UltraSport to the TS and slept that first nite in the TS. The next morning was the first time that we ever signed anything, all negotiations and agreements prior were verbal.

Smoky:  Is Newmar building your coach in Nappanee?  You could fly in to O'Hare and take the Amtrak to Nappanee.  You could walk to the plant from the train station.  My other RV was an American Cruiser, which were built right across the street from Newmar.  Well, there's one teeny drawback to my plan.  Amtrak gets into Nappanee between midnight and 1:30 a.m. depending on how late they are. 

I flew into Seattle and taken a Greyhound to Yakima to get my Chinook once. 

--pat

Smoky:  Newmar makes good stuff.  I think you have great odds you're going to find nothing wrong, even after  sleeping in it a night or two. Did you say what model you ordered?

--pat

Pat:

Yes Nappanee.

My eye surgery was scheduled for May10 and the night before the surgeon called in sick.? I took advantage of that.? I had given up on seeing my coach on the assembly line because the surgery took priority.? My wife and I were sitting having lunch when she suddenly said,"Say isn't our coach going on line tomorrow?"

I dashed into the bedroom, packed my bags, and drove straight through the night to get there.? See my story of my factory visit in the thread about the birth of Smoky and the Admiral's coach here in the Motorhome section of the forum.

After watching the craftsmanship displayed during construction I agree with you nothing is likely to go wrong.? Everyone is teasing me about how I forced the dealer to let me do a three hour pre acceptance inspection before they can even come on board to do their day long show and tell.? I was inspired by watching the house inspector do my house for the seller and I could not open my mouth unless asked a question.? That also took three hours and covered everything from roof to septic.? Why not do the same with a coach?? Keep the dealer completely out of it until I am done?? The dealer gets their turn the next day and they still get 8 hours to my 3.? ?:D

I would still like a night on the coach, though, before signing over my check.? I am not taking anything for granted.? This has been an 8 month very very careful saga for us.

Do you own a Newmar?

p.s.  Oh yes, we ordered a 2005 KS3910 with EVERYTHING on it including some special orders.

Smoky:  I traded my American Cruiser on a new 2001 Chinook Destiny back in March 2001.  It's 24 feet and is just fine for me.  I've never been one for lots of space and don't desire to haul a bedroom along in the back.  If I ever find making up the bed at night to be a bother, I remind myself I'm retired and have plenty of time.  Sure would love to have a Sleep Number bed, though.  This couch is really bad.  I use two mattress toppers from Kmart to try to smooth out the bumps.  I have remodeled the inside of my Chinook removing the two club lounge chairs and the cabinet bases on which they stood.  Replaced the carpet floor with tile and some nice little Oriental rugs, and put in a parsons table for the computer and a nice Kiri recliner for myself.  I've always been a recliner person.  The place is quite cozy in my opinion.  I'd just love to have a 25 foot Chinook Glacier, because they have a stand-in shower.  They have a single slide, so I could probably replace the bad couch with a Sleep Number sofabed.  But there will always be something new, so I'm content with status quo.

--pat

Pat:

Sounds like you have a great comfort zone set up.

I was very cozy in my Fleetwood trailer with no slideout.  I lived in it for 10 weeks as I pulled it from Maryland to Oregon and back.  It was a very comfortable place for me.

I still have fond feelings for it.  It won't be far away as I gave it to my son last week.  I just hope he learns to operate it and pull it before he wrecks it.  ;D

Smoky:  I know how worrisome it is to give something away and hope it receives the same care.  I never sell and always give away, and I've learned the ability to feel grateful to the taker for getting the old item off my hands.  Then I don't worry about whether it'll ever be used or appreciated.  I've already moved on to new and better.  If I were moving into the wonderful new coach you are, that Fleetwood would be SO out of my mind very fast.

--pat

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Everyone talks about exercising a genset from the stand point of the engine. It is just as important to exercising the genset for the good of the generator also.

Right, what started the arguments on the old forum was my posting that Genrac (Who makes Generators, not motors) stated precisely that in the manual for my spare killowatt.  And I found that it worked, even though it had been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long, but it worked better when I got to it's second tank of gas

Back
Top Bottom