Exhaust fan suggestions/comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard R

Well we'd like some of your thoughts or suggestions on exhaust fans for the motor home.

We have a 1999 28' Mirada with the usual noise over function fan in the blueroom ... with Max Air covers on all the roof vents.  Planning on upgrading/adding a better fan with thermostat control, such as Fantastic Fan or a Turbo Max fan ... Turbo Max would be an easy installation (remove Max Air cover, install Turbo Max in current mounts).  There are also the Shure Flo Comfort Air Fan to add to the mix.

Blueroom would be the easiest, power already there, would get rid of noise maker and while needing to keep door at least partially open would function as whole house fan for drawing in or exhausting air through coach.

Shower vent across the isle from blueroom would be good except need to fish wire from light switch up to fan ... light is there but controlled from a switch on the wall ... may or maynot be relatively easy to fish wire... should be doable.

Or front or bedroom vents, access power from nearby light.

I've heard good things about Fantastic Fan and Turbo Max.

I like the idea of keeping the vents open without rain worries with the current Max Air Vents, Fantastic Fans have issues with being stopped partially open with the Max Air Vents ... would this significantly cut down on the airflow?

So the question is ... what have you folks done or what configuration do you have ... comments/suggestions?

I'm leaning towards a Turbo Max with thermostat for the blue room as a start, as it could always be moved to another position later if desired.  Also as added incentive, they are currently on sale at Camper World for $186.75 ...  ;D

What do you think?

thanks,

Howard

IMHO you just can't beat a Fantasic Fan.  Excellent after sale support too.  If it were us there would only be ONE choice.

Most vent openings are prewired for 12 volt fans.  just remove existing framwork from inside,  The 2 wires should be there with wire nuts on the ends.  Fantastic fans do not use maxi covers, so you will have to close vent if rain is forcast. Rain sensor fan is not reliable. Turbo max is best , but cost a lot more.  "Life is just a series of concessions"....

Shower vent across the isle from blueroom would be good except need to fish wire from light switch up to fan ... light is there but controlled from a switch on the wall ... may or maynot be relatively easy to fish wire... should be doable.
If the vent doesn't have a fan there now and the light is close, you might just replace the light with one that has its' own switch, wire the wall switch permanently ON, and use the switch in the light to turn it on and off. Then you'll have 12V power there and it would be a lot easier to fish the wires to the new fan. Might be a little more inconvenient to use the light, but you can get used to that. :) 

I have a MaxxAir TurboMaxx and a Fantastic Vent w/rain sensor as well as one vent with the noisy little fan and one with no fan at all but a MaxxAir cover.  Off the 4, I prefer the MaxxAir, which stays open during rain or morning dew and runs at speeds I control.  My MaxxAir has the thermostat, but I have not found that to be a veryuseful feature and would probably save some bucks and go without it if buying another.  The Fantastic Vent generally works pretty well but irritates me in two ways: (1) it is forever opening and closing because of morning/evening dew, moisture dripping from trees, drips after a rainfall, etc., and (2) the auto speed control often increases the fan speed to the point of objectionable noise.  I can switch the fantastic to manual control to avoid both of these irritations and I think there are lower priced models that do not have either feature. However, I still can't have the vent open in light rain or heavy dew because the fan does not work well witha MaxxAir cover over it (and FF recommends against such covers).

There is a new version of the MaxxAir fan that looks more like a FF.  It's called the MaxxFan.  I've heard some good reports about it, but have not seen or used one myself.  MaxxFan

FF gives great customer service but so does MaxxAir. Both have provided me with free replacement parts long after the warranty expired.

Gary

If you put the FF on manual, you can hand crank the cover open and it will stay there, you can also put the speed control on -0- so the fan is shut off.

If you put the FF on manual, you can hand crank the cover open and it will stay there, you can also put the speed control on -0- so the fan is shut off.

Yeah, but why pay $200 for a fan so I can override its auto features and run it manually?  And I still can't keep it open when it rains! 

For our particular wants & needs, the MaxxAir Turbo is  a better solution.

Well I guess part of the question has been resolved ... was looking on Craigslist for the first time the other night and lo and behold ... there was a TurboMax available locally for $50!  Even has the thermostat as well ... so now only have to figure out where to mount it.

Pulled the inside cover off the front vent today and doesn't appear to be any spare wires nor do the wiring diagrams I have indicate there are any.  The front ceiling light is about 12-14 inches forward of the vent and it looks like a couple of inches of foam insulation in the ceiling. 

So I gather the next step is to use a long drill bit or stiff wire to carefully create a tunnel to the front light to pull a couple of wires from the light. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it's certainly nice to have you all as a resource.  :)

Howard

;D  Opps!

Forgot the front light was on a switch also ... by the entry door so you don't have to enter the coach in the dark.

Question Gary ... how noisy is that Turbo Max you have?  We often run table fans now so don't think it would be a problem if it were closer to the back ... ie. shower or bedroom ... just curious.

We are visiting the kids over the weekend, so progress on the new project is slow.  ;D

thanks again,

Howard

RV Roamer said:
I However, I still can't have the vent open in light rain or heavy dew because the fan does not work well witha MaxxAir cover over it (and FF recommends against such covers).

There is a new version of the MaxxAir fan that looks more like a FF.  It's called the MaxxFan.  I've heard some good reports about it, but have not seen or used one myself.  MaxxFan

FF gives great customer service but so does MaxxAir. Both have provided me with free replacement parts long after the warranty expired.

Gary,
I have two Fantastics and also a MaxxFan. I put Maxx covers on the Fantastics because of the same objections you have, plus I don't really trust the auto feature when we are away and I like to leave the vents open a crack when the RV is in the storage area with power off. Anyhow, the Fantastics work really well with the covers with no problems. Only thing I don't like is the resulting high profile. If I had it all to do over again, I would have replaced the Fantastics with the MaxxFans since the vertical profile is much less. The MaxxFans doesn'tt move as much air as the Fantastics because of the low profile if its cover but I'm still satisfied with its performance.

Finally started raining some here. You're area has been getting more than ours.

Why does everyone get so stubborn and up-in-arms over these fans?  To answer the question, one Fantastic Vent placed wherever you have a 14X14 hole with power will be enough for most RV's.  The idea is to pull a large quantity of air out through the fan, bringing in fresh air through open windows throughout the RV.  Putting it in the bathrooms is seldom seen because the entire airflow would have to move through the bathroom door which needs to be left open - not everyone would like that at all times - but it may be the easiest place to install it.  I'm convinced those egg beater bathroom fans are just to politely cover up bathroom noises!

I have a Fantastic VENT (It's VENT, not FAN!) with an Aero cover - it works fine.  People LOVE repeating the old saw about not using a cover over a Fantastic Vent because it can't handle the airflow.  Well, it's hardly ever necessary to use "high" anyway - on the other speeds, there's plenty of airflow - and on "high", you don't hear the fan choking to death. 

WHY would anyone WANT an automatic closing fan when these covers are now available?  I even leave my fan lid open in Winter - snow never gets blown beyond the Aero covers.  At one time, the automatic lids might have seemed pretty neat, but they have little worth now.

The thermostat feature works well.  There are few times I use it, but it does have applications we can each appreciate.  Go to sleep with the fan on, and it stops running when the temperature drops - no waking in cold AM temperatures.  OR Leave in the morning when it's cool, and the fan comes on when the sun heats things up - great if you have a pet.  I leave mine at a setting, and it works off and on without my having to bother with it at all.

For those who don't know - most RV's that come with a Fantastic Vent have the cheap model 4000.  It you wish to add the other features, call Fantastic Vent and they will send an upgrade kit which adds the reversing switch and thermostat, complete with new face place, for about $40.  What a deal!  Further, they will do ANYTHING to help with ANY problem. 

When you find a company that cannibalizes their own upgrade-sales by selling such a kit, that's a company to stick with! 

(I still hate cleaning it!).

LOL, stubborn? Everyone?

We have two Fantastic units in our coach, one thermostatically controlled and the other isn't. I couldn't tell you which model(s) they are, but they both work well. One day I might switch out the bathroom fan for a Fantastic fan/vent. Won't need to leave the door open - there's a large gap under the door.

Well the deed is done ... mounted the new/used Turbo Max in the bedroom vent.  Got the power from the nearby ceiling light and it works great. 

thanks all for the suggestions and comments!  :)

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom