Exhaust Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ro

Anyone had a exhaust leak at the manifold on a Ford V10? (broken bolts,cracked manifold,gasket)

Sorry you haven't received a reply - doesn't mean no one has, just means those people haven't read your post.

I have never owned a V10, but responses I've received regarding other questions said that the earlier (pre-2006) V10s had studs that were too short and would pull out, but that the problem was addressed in later models

I've been active on this forum daily for 20 years and don't recall any reports of exhaust manifold leaks on V10's, whether van-based or Class A. I'm sure there have been some, but they cannot be common.

ro said:
Thanks for  the replies,I was told 38 hours labor plus parts

I would get a few more estimates, that seems very high.

The early V10s were world famous for breaking exhaust manifold bolts. They actually rust to the point of failure.

ro said:
Thanks for  the replies,I was told 38 hours labor plus parts

I've had exhaust manifold problems twice and NEVER saw more than 10 hours labor.  The last time the dealer told me he spent longer than he charged me for because they had a heck of a time getting the broken bolts out.

38 hours is crazy.

Thanks Arch,they said if the bolts broke off  the best way was to pull the engine to gain access to drill out the studs  and re tap the threads.

38 hours would be enough time to pull the engine and replace the heads while its out. I'd get more estimates.

38 hours does seem excessive, but doing any major engine work in a Class A is difficult and time-consuming. Even with the front hatch open and the doghouse off, the engine is sometimes just barely visible.  Neither of the gas A's I owned (one Ford, one Workhorse) would have allowed manifold removal without major effort.

Perhaps they are assuming they will need to drop the engine?  I'd get another opinion, though it can sometimes be hard to find a shop even willing to do major engine work on a Class A gasser.

ro said:
Anyone had a exhaust leak at the manifold on a Ford V10? (broken bolts,cracked manifold,gasket)

Not on a V10 but on my 8.1 Vortec on a Winnie Adventurer.  You could hear and smell it but since it was like that when I bought it I thought it might be normal until it got worse.  Then found one of the 3 bolts missing on the manifold/tailpipe connection - not broken just entirely missing.  Took it to a local general repair shop and they replaced the donuts in both sides of the exhausts and two missing bolts - about $85 total and much much quieter and no more smells. Get it to an exhaust shop right away even if they have no bays they can work on this outside by raising it with the jacks.

BTW - total job took less than 90 minutes.

Bill

I only mention this because you may run across the same problem I did except on an 8.3 cummins. The repeated heat cycling causes the cast iron manifold to shrink and distort, this binds the bols to the point they may break off when removing as mine did. Headers have a great more flex and the steel header flange is not as prone to shrinkage.

Myfix was to machine flat the manifold and make it a three piece with gaskets and clamps. Enlarging the bolt holes gave room for the manifold to expand without binding. After removal I found it to be cracked in several places and had to weld it back up with nickel bearing rod. It then moved so much more air thro the turbo that it blew off one of the precooler hoses and now runs as it should.

What I"m trying to get at is this all took me a week of part time wrenching and welding. Guessing the total time to be around 32 hours including transport to machine shop, pre and post heating for welding.  They no doubt gave you an estimate on worst case scenario and possible removing the heads for repair.

Lots of luck...Will

ro said:
Thanks Arch,they said if the bolts broke off  the best way was to pull the engine to gain access to drill out the studs  and re tap the threads.

Pull the engine to repair?  Think I'd go get a few more opinions.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
LOL, if they are infamous, my memory must be bad (advancing age does that!).  But the "early V10's" were 20 years ago, so I'll use that for an excuse!

Maybe it's time you retire.
Some of us respondents actually own large tool boxes and and do RV repair, not just repeat what others say.
Many gas exhaust manifolds can be accessed from the fender well, not the dog house.

rls7201 said:
Maybe it's time you retire.
Some of us respondents actually own large tool boxes and and do RV repair, not just repeat what others say.
Many gas exhaust manifolds can be accessed from the fender well, not the dog house.
Easy, Richard -- that sounds like personal attack, and is uncalled for.

Larry N. said:
Easy, Richard -- that sounds like personal attack, and is uncalled for.

Agree.  As an example I own a large tool box but due to medical issues no longer have the abillity to use a lot of them.  I never had the ability to pull an engine and a problem such as this would have been taken to a qualified repair facility.  But the snide reply was totally uncalled for.  An apology would help put things right.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom