Expedition and Jayco Jay Feather 29A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingman

We are very seriously considering upgrading from our popup to a Jayco Jay Feather 29A.  We have a 2003 Expedition EB (5.4L w/ tow package, its rated to tow 8650 lbs).  Does anybody think this combination of trailer and tv would be a problem?  In the Truck I will have my wife, 8 year old twins, 4 year old daughter, and myself.  The 29A is 5145 lbs dry, and GVWR is 6500.  Tongue weight is 590 (Expy is rated for 890 max).  Other forums seem to think you should never tow anything longer than 25 feet with an SUV.  I plan on getting the equalizer hitch and prodigy brake controller.  Everything seems to be checking out.  I just wanted to get a few more opinions.

Generally all comments are welcome.  It doesn't seem that may people have this trailer.

;D

Other forums seem to think you should never tow anything longer than 25 feet with an SUV.

Nertz.  I have towed 29 footers with a E350 van.    Weight is what counts.

By the numbers  that Expedition, allowing a safety factor of 20% for towing in the west, can handle a trailer with a GVWR of 6920 lbs.  You say your trailer has a GVWR of 6500 lbs..  In that case your SUV can haul that thing anywhere in North America. 

On thing tho.  You will need a good Class IV weight distributing hitch with good antisway control.  Ones I am familiar with are the Reese Dual Cam, the Hensley Arrow and the Equalizer.  Do not stint on these.

Enjoy.

I pull a Maxlite 29' with an 04 Expedition. When I got it the dealer recommended an Equlizer hitch, I had a Reese. He let me test pull it with both and needless to say I kept the Equilizer. We just pulled it from Mi. to Fla. & I was suprised at how good it did in the hill's in Ky. & Tenn. It would keep up with traffic going uphill just fine. I could feel trucks passing but no more than normal. Not a bit of sway in crosswinds, one morning we had pretty strong winds also. Like Carl says don't skimp on the hitch. I've also got a Prodigy brake controller & like it after having an older one. There's no fiddling with adjustments, it just works.

Thank you for the feedback.  I actually have plans to get the equalizer hitch, and upgrade my voyager brake controller the prodigy.  Thanks to both of you.  It is nice to hear someone is actually pulling a trailer that size.

Back
Top Bottom