Experienced RVer's Diesel maintenance costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jljeeper

I'm buying a 1994 Southwind that has been sitting for the past 5 years. I have never owned a diesel before. Can you guys with experience give me a ballpark figure on the cost of replacing the belts, hoses and a valve adjustment on a 5.9 cummins 230? What am I looking at?

Any help appreciated. I need to figure this into my offer.

If it has been sitting for 5 yeas I would have someone with experience look at it and give you the full cost to get it back on the road.

Jeff /Washington said:
If it has been sitting for 5 yeas I would have someone with experience look at it and give you the full cost to get it back on the road.

I can appreciate that. That is kind of why I am posting here. This resource is vast priceless information knowledge base. I just want an idea of costs., Not an exact figure. I'm sure there are other things than the one's Ive listed in my question above. I just want the big ticket items for negociating price. I will handle all the smaller maintenance items myself. I'm already docking for out of date tires.

It's hard to believe no one here has paid to have their belts and hoses replaced or even just a large annual maintenance done where some of this took place. I just need an idea $300,$500, $1000 or $1500? Just an idea

Thanks

I too would have serious reservations about any motorhome that's been sitting for five years.  It's not only a case of replacing hoses and belts, but the wheel bearings, differential, steering joints seals, alternator, pumps and compressors have not worked.  The 5.9 is not an engine intended for rebuilding like the C8.3 so the engine should be inspected by a competent Cummins technician.

5 years is a long time for the genset not to have worked, so expect major repairs and overhaul, roof air conditioners, refrigerator cooling unit (major expense),  propane system and perhaps the fuel tank containing sediment, water and/or fungus.

The diesel fuel in the fuel tank should be drained and replaced with fresh fuel, change all fuel filters, air filter and hydraulic fluids replaced.  Transmission oil should be changed as well as differential oil changed.

Hydraulic jack system should be flushed and checked to make sure it still works.

Awnings should be checked for mold and rot and the holding tanks should be checked, fresh water tank sanitized and water pump checked.

Hot water heater should be flushed and having been out of service for 5 years might have to be replaced.

Has the interior of the coach been checked for leaks?  After 5 years of sitting, plus it's total life, caulk and seals need to be checked and perhaps replaced. 

Hoses and belts could total about $400 - $500 but I would look at much more preventative maintenance.

All batteries, coach and chassis should be replaced.

Oh yes, pull the wheels and check the brakes and most important after 5 years, the tires absolutely must be replaced.  Though the tires may not show wear, the degradation of the rubber requires that tires be replaced 5 years after the tire manufacture date.

Does the coach have an air suspension and/or braking system?

Air tanks should be inspected for corrosion from water condensation,  the entire air system should be inspected for leaks, perhaps change hoses, replace air dryer filters, and adjust ride height valves, and ensure the slack adjusters are functioning.

Most of us here use our rigs a lot and maintenance gets doen "as needed" rather than as a single large overhaul. Suggest you call a Cummins shop and get an estimate for a this work.  They should be able to give you valve adjustment figure fairly quickly. Belts and hoses will be chassis specific, but the Cummmins shop could probably give you a ball park figure for that too.

Is that an Oshkosh chassis?  Freightliner bought them out, so maybe Freightliner could give a estimate.

Off hand, I'd say you are looking a close to $1000 to have a competent shop check it thoroughly, set the valves, replace belts and hoses, change ALL oil & fluids (cooling, engine, tranny, brakes (if hydraulic), etc.).  Just a guess, tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom