Experiences with 15-ish year old Class A diesel pushers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SC5thWheeler

We've had several 5th wheels but I have no first hand experience with Class A pushers.

I've noticed a lot of high end MHs for sale in the 2005-2010 range for sale for $50-60k. These are rigs that are well north of 200k new. There's even a dealer in SC that specializes in selling these. They are usually low mileage. I keep thinking that even if you had to spend 15k to get everything up to snuff, you'd still have a bargain.

Another part of me thinks you'd end up with a $70k money pit.

Anyone have first hand experience buying an older top end motorhome?

I keep thinking that even if you had to spend 15k to get everything up to snuff, you'd still have a bargain.

Both of those are out there and for sale. RV appliances have a lifespan that is typically around 10 years or so if in continuous use but if only used for occasional trips that could easily be 2 or 3 times that long. Then there is the factor of maintenance since a rigorously maintained coach of that age might be a real find but one that has been neglected or abused will be a money pit. You can greatly improve your chanced of finding the bargain coach by hiring one of the certified pre-purchase inspectors and be willing to pay him to do a complete inspection, typically costing around $300 - $500 and possibly a bit more. You need to know things like fluids analysis for coolant system, transmission, engine and such. The date code of each tire and the condition of all hoses and belts is important as well as s host of other things. I have known many people who bought an older motorhome and loved it but the older the coach is the more critical the condition and history become. Whether the experience of others was good or bad, it really has no relationship to what experience you might have since you won't have the same motorhome. Each one is different and an entirely unique situation. Professional help will greatly improve your likelihood of a happy experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMR
We own a 23 year old Beaver Patriot Thunder. We have made lots of changes, improvements and repairs, but we've still spent much less than even a lower end DP would have cost. We've enjoyed traveling >75,000 miles in it over the 12 years we've full-timed in it. Had we waited to be able to afford it new, we might never have had the opportunity to travel.

Kirk’s comments about maintenance are spot on. A well maintained 15-20 year old coach can be a real bargain. On the other hand, one that has been neglected will be a maintenance nightmare.

Our coach is a 2006 Mandalay. It’s built on the Freightliner chassis. It currently has 133,000 miles on it. Everything works perfectly. I have a copy of every maintenance invoice that was ever written for this coach, and a computer database that has a digital record of everything. I take it to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC every year for its annual inspection.

Good maintenance records are critical when looking at coaches of this era. Do your due diligence on this and you could end up with a very nice machine!

I think another key ingredient would be if it were garage kept.. Mine is 25 years old and always garage kept when not in use.. This would make a huge difference in the ageing process of wood,, plastic,(if any) rubber,, paint,, etc.. Even tho mine has 140K on it the maint. records will show how it has been kept in a timely manner,, so it would be available at a moments notice for use..
The maint. factor expense, is controlled by the owners knowledge of the coach and his ability to offset cost with a " hands on " approach and a garage affords him with a place to do the work as needed..>>>Dan

So are you telling SCfifthWheeler that all of them have the experience that you have had?
Not at all; I'm just pointing out that it is possible to purchase a well-cared-for DP and drive it for quite a few miles without ever getting close to the cost of having purchased it new. We've undertaken some fairly expensive upgrades and have had a few somewhat costly repairs, but our total investment is still way below the $340k MSRP of our MH when it was new.

I've noticed a lot of high end MHs for sale in the 2005-2010 range for sale for $50-60k. These are rigs that are well north of 200k new.
Hope this doesn't come across as too snarky, but a 2010 DP in the $60k range was a low end model to start with, so you shouldn't expect too much.. You should be able to get a nice and well-kept 2005-2007 for $60k-$75k, though. Condition is everything, for both chassis and house. Maintenance & repairs on big diesel rigs are expensive, so the level of $$ risk depends on how much (if any) you can do yourself. Even oil & filter changes and minor interior fixes can make a huge difference in the annual budget.

With high interest rates and the impact of inflation on discretionary spending, Rv prices are already trending down and likely to dive further in the coming months. If you can afford to buy (preferably without financing), there ought to be some bargains coming.

Every once in awhile we will see a coach in our vintage year/s in an RV park or rolling down the road.. It is a treat to see a well kept,, high end,, well maintained,, land yacht strutting it's stuff and still giving the good service that it was intended to do..>>>Dan

Last edited:
Hope this doesn't come across as too snarky, but a 2010 DP in the $60k range was a low end model to start with, so you shouldn't expect too much.. You should be able to get a nice and well-kept 2005-2007 for $60k-$75k, though.
Not snarky at all. I haven't researched enough to know the different models...I wouldn't consider buying a 2005 5th wheel but I believe it's apples and oranges.

You can greatly improve your chanced of finding the bargain coach by hiring one of the certified pre-purchase inspectors and be willing to pay him to do a complete inspection, typically costing around $300 - $500 and possibly a bit more.
The key is to determine the true current condition. Maintenance and use history becomes more important with each year of age. A motorhome is a combination of everything found in your fifth wheel and all of that on a bus like chassis that is capable of carrying it all around the country. Any RV is complex but a motorhome is everything in a single package.

We've had several 5th wheels but I have no first hand experience with Class A pushers.

I've noticed a lot of high end MHs for sale in the 2005-2010 range for sale for $50-60k. These are rigs that are well north of 200k new. There's even a dealer in SC that specializes in selling these. They are usually low mileage. I keep thinking that even if you had to spend 15k to get everything up to snuff, you'd still have a bargain.

Anyone have first hand experience buying an older top end motorhome?
If a Monaco Cayman is "top end" (very bottom of top?) our 2006 is a money pit. Bought in 2020 with about 57,000. Power train has been solid except for a starter relay frying and necessitating a tow. But a number of ancillary systems broke: air bag valve, windshield motor, shocks, sway bar ends, furnace circuit board, potable water pump, batteries, heat pump, door lock, inverter, yadda yadda. But from a dealer specializing on older high end coaches, that $5,000 might do you -- tires excepted.

What do you consider a high-end motorhome? Monaco made some nice coaches but not all were high end. Same with Beaver, Holiday Rambler and a few others. I would recommend you do lots of research on the subject and rely less on what almost every dealer will tell you. The RV forum is a great place to do your research.

What do you consider a high-end motorhome? Monaco made some nice coaches but not all were high end. Same with Beaver, Holiday Rambler and a few others. I would recommend you do lots of research on the subject and rely less on what almost every dealer will tell you. The RV forum is a great place to do your research.
It ain't a Newell but it ain't a SeeYa, either . . . .:mad:

For comparison purposes, the NADA pricing on our 2005 Pace Arrow is about $134,000 without options. NADA base pricing of a 2005 Cayman is about $145,000. Both are 2 slide 35-36 foot motorhomes. I'm guessing the $11,000 price difference is mostly engine, brakes and suspension. The Pace Arrow is high end for a gas coach. It certainly isn't anywhere near high end for a diesel. I suspect the Cayman is very similar.

FWIW, NADA pricing on a 2005 SeeYa:: 2005 Alfa See-Ya Series M-36FD 350hp Prices

For comparison purposes, the NADA pricing on our 2005 Pace Arrow is about $134,000 without options. NADA base pricing of a 2005 Cayman is about $145,000. Both are 2 slide 35-36 foot motorhomes. I'm guessing the $11,000 price difference is mostly engine, brakes and suspension. The Pace Arrow is high end for a gas coach. It certainly isn't anywhere near high end for a diesel. I suspect the Cayman is very similar.

FWIW, NADA pricing on a 2005 SeeYa:: 2005 Alfa See-Ya Series M-36FD 350hp Prices
I have no interest in measuring how high on the tree trunk I can scratch. We are fortunate to be able to afford anything, and we're fully content with what ours offers (except I wish the shower was a little bigger). I was only offering my experience buying an older DP -- which I assume could apply to the whole range of coaches.

I have no idea what the cost. My coach mechanic holds a low opinion of them and I respect his judgment. We were very happy with our first Class A, a $16,000 1999 Itasca Sunflyer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom