EXPORT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u.k steve

My family and I rented a 28ft R. V from Seattle  last year taking in Mt St Helens,Crater Lake, Lassen,San Fran ,Hw101 we had a superb time didn't want to come home,but you have to  in the end they won't let us stay there.
                We have a v.w camoper at the mo and in a couple of years thinking of changing it to a larger modeL. I am wondering what the cost would be to import one and convert to run on l.p.g..The fact it is l.h.d is no prob as we would mainly use it on the continent. ,though we are looking to buy a camp ground ,so some plans may alter

.KEEP ON CAMPIN
:)

Sounds like you had quite a trip.  We have a few of the Framily that have purshased an RV over here and toured about 6 monthes out of the year.  I imagine one could export an RV as long as it wasn't considered too large to use in Europe.

Steve

We have several prior forum members who have bought class A motorhomes and shipped them back to the UK. Apart from LHD which, as you say, isn't an issue in mainland Europe, other considerations might be AC power and appliances. We're running on 110V, 60Hz "mains" here, and I know the UK is 240V, 50Hz. But I can't recall what Europe is running on. Every power outlet would have to be changed (doesn't Europe use round pin plugs, while the UK uses the 3 pin square pin plugs?), or adapters used. Here we use 2 flat pins and, plugs that have a ground (earth) connection, use a round pin for that. You might also need adapters to be able to hook up to campground power.

Of course, the TVs here won't work since our TV standard is NTSC, whereas the UK is PAL and part of Europe is Secam. But it should be easy to change them at your end.

Our motorhomes are typically equipped with LPG, used for cooking and heating. Was there something else you were thinking of using LPG for?

Let me try to locate some messages from the folks who previously did this, but they may have been before the old forum message boards were purged.

Keep checking in, and we might be able to come up with some answers.

BTW where do you hope to buy a campground?

Steve

Ian Hancock, one of our members from the UK, is currently travelling the USA in a coach he recently bought here. He plans to ship the coach back to the UK at some point, so he has done some research in this area. Hopefully Ian will see your message and respond. Meanwhile, click here to see a message from Ian and to send him a message direct.

Whatever you find out, please come back and let us know so we can share the most current information with others.

Edit: Corrected Ian's last name.

Tom said:
Steve

Our motorhomes are typically equipped with LPG, used for cooking and heating. Was there something else you were thinking of using LPG for?

Hi Tom

Here on the "old" continent we have cars, with engines converted to run on LPG 
LPG is much (for now) cheaper than gas

thenosyone said:
Here on the "old" continent we have cars, with engines converted to run on LPG

I've seen vehicles here that were converted to run on LPG in the fuel crisis of the 1970's. Today we have hybrid models of small cars that run on petroleum and electricity. I have no idea if a large motorhome could be built or converted to run on LPG.

The buses in Palm Springs are powered by CNG (compressed natural gas).  Similar to propane but safer.

Hi Tom

I was only explaining what U K Steve was planning to do.

To my opinion every gas engine can/could be converted to run on LPG. I am not an expert.
It would be intresting to find out if a large gas motorhome can be converted.
I had one car converted in the seventy's , it was cheap to run but created a lot of starting problems.
I think the techniques used to convert the engines will have improved by now.

Well we made it home,
Once i get my RV into the UK i will be able to give advice to actuall costs etc.Just for starters ihad an insurance quote for ?10 K and it seems the UK insurance companies just dont want to know about fulltimers.Just by chance i came across an ex motorhomer that owns an insurance agency and got me insurance for ?1233 ,i am now in the process of dealing with HM Customs and will keep everyone informed how i get on.

IMHO, you could convert older carburated engines to CNG without too much trouble; fuel injected engines with individual injectors would be more difficult but throttle-body injection should be pretty straightforward too.  Diesels are another story altogether. They are so different mechanically, I don't think they could (practically) be converted.

Glad you made it home safely Ian. Looking forward to the outcome of your dealings with HM Customs.

thenosyone said:
To my opinion every gas engine can/could be converted to run on LPG. I am not an expert.
It would be intresting to find out if a large gas motorhome can be converted.

:) Hi there. New member just joined here. I had my old 1988 Coachmen Classiic 454 converted to LPG. I was considering doing the same to my replacement 1993 Gulfstream Crown Regis. But I have found the Gulf isn't big enough compared to our old Coachmen. So I am flying over to Florida to buy a newer and bigger one. I will probably convert that to LPG. Unless of course I buy a Diesel instead.  ;)

John & Sandy,

Who did the LPG conversion for you? Might be useful for others coming here behind you.

TIA

:) Hi Tom. The original company in the UK that did my conversion went out of business. Just as well because our first set up didn't work as it should have and burnt out the lift pump.  :-[ Gas4cars was the second one who we went to and I assisted him to fit the second set up. Anyone with basic plumbing skills would have no porblem doing a conversion himself. IMHO. I intend to do my own next time.  ;)

Thanks for info John.

Any chance I could twist your arm to take some before/during/after photos when you do the next LPG conversion?

Back
Top Bottom