Extended Warranties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blsmith25

Hi,

I've registered my new appliances with their companies for the warranty. Now I'm starting to get mail back from them trying to sell extended warranties.
For the most part, I don't believe in them since I've never ran into those kinds of problems with anything, but I'm not familiar with these names and their products to know if it's actually worth it or not.
I've got a Dometic 3-way refrigerator and air conditioner.
I've got 3 years warranty coverage for both appliances at the moment since they're new. I'm good until August 2009.
I can have the warranties extended up to 1 year or 3 years (there's no 2 year option) for some claimed discounts from regular prices.
Air conditioner 1 year extended is $40 vs $50. 3 years is $105 vs $150.
Fridge 1 year extended is $72 vs $90. 3 years is $190 vs $270.
It doesn't say anything about a time limit, so I'm not sure how fast I would need to respond to this "savings offer" from them or if I can wait awhile.

Should I extend my warranties for these appliances or not? If I sell the unit within the first 3 years, the warranties are not likely any good to the next person, are they?

Anyways, some advice from people who've been there, done that is needed. That's a good chunk of change that if I don't need to spend it or can spend it later would be nice.

I don't use the air conditioner, but the fridge is on constantly. Any other appliances that I should extend the warranty on if given the chance/discount?

Thanks.
B.L>

Those go in file 13 at our establishment and when the warranty on the MH was about up we purchase extended warranty on it and it includes all tthe applicances and then some. Motor , tranny and all chassis , + A/C.  I've had to use it a time or 2 and it was well worth it.  Used Warranty Experts , Dave Gardner out of Texas as the REP,  They Job it out.  Well satisfied, this is my 3rd policy with him.

File 13 ???
So, from what you're saying is to nevermind the individual warranties from the individual manufacturers and go with some package deal later when the time is about to expire.
Is that something that is available from the dealership or from the factory?
But it's not something that I need to worry about right now I gather.
It sounds like I can wait for that.

I took an LCD TV  into a repair shop in Scottsdale last winter and the owner reccommended extended warranties for these TVs because they are so modular and you have to buy expensive component boards to repair them.

My understanding was that you don't need to submit all the individual warranties that come with all the components of the rigs. Rather, that when you submit the warranty for the rig, it includes and warrants all the components. Geez, tell me this is correct. I really don't want to deal with all those individual warranties!

Their are many Extended policies out their for RV;s,  I and a few others use WarrantyExperts in San Antonio, 877-673-1880 or www.warrrantyexperts.com .  They are a broker that sets up with insurance companies as previously mentioned.  It covers the entire unit.  Hate those individual polices and file 13 is the trash can or incinerator.  These can be bought from dealers for which you will pay thru the nose.  I've been doing business with them for some time and Dave has treated me quite fairly. and I buy all my units used, some may have warranty left, but not always.  My 98 has 2 1/2 yrs of extended left on it covering practically in entire coach with $50 deductable each time repairs are done, no matter how many items on the list.  The last time I used it, cost me $50 and their replace my hot water tank and the hotshot and much of the plumbing, as well as work on the powersteering and genset.  I happy as a lark with the results.  You can tell Dave, I recommended him if you so desire.  I wouldn't talk to anyone else, him I trust. Rest of the people there are great too, but I've dealt directly with him and hope to continue to do so.

Guillermo said:
My understanding was that you don't need to submit all the individual warranties that come with all the components of the rigs. Rather, that when you submit the warranty for the rig, it includes and warrants all the components. Geez, tell me this is correct. I really don't want to deal with all those individual warranties!

You have to submit the individual items.

What it sounds like to me is that when you originally get a new appliance or new rig, you submit all the original warranty registrations at that time since they are new. This is so the companies know who has their products and when you bought them.
They are then covered for 1 year, 3 years or whatever the deal is. For the two appliances I mentioned, I've got 3 years warranty coverage from the start.

Now, what Shayne is saying is that after that initial 3 year warranty is close to ending, get this warrantyexperts company to take over the warranty like some kind of insurance policy that covers everything from head to tail. Vehicle part or house part, it sounds as if it includes everything.

So, it sounds to me that on an initial new purchase from the dealer, I'm fine for the first 3 years. At the end of that time, I need to start extending the warranties and paying for warranty insurance.

Now you say you pay $50 deductible for each repair no matter what it costs. But if this is an insurance policy type deal, I would think you're paying also monthly or semi-yearly or whatever for this insurance just like a normal insurance policy. Is the cost of this warranty insurance actually worth it? The rig would only be 3 years old at the time. And what about claims? Do the premiums go up like insurance also?
They're in Texas. I'm in California. Does this pose problems?

You should buy the extended warranty before the coach warranty expires, regardless of the individual appliance warranties.  Once the original coach warranty expires, an extended warranty can cost more.

As for if an EW is worth it, it's like any other insurance policy.  You hope you never need it but if you do, you'll be glad you got it.  Think blown engine or transmission and it will pay for itself several times over.

The premium is generally a one time charge, but can often be spread over several payments.  There is no premium increase for the life of the policy, but the older the RV, the more expensive the premium.

We also have a policy purchased from Warranty Experts and have recommended them to several friends.  All of them seem happy with the policies.

Ok.
So, for me, I can wait another 2 1/2 years before I need to worry about that.
Now, 2 1/2 years from now when I'm ready to get a policy such as this, my rig would only be 3 years old.
What you're saying is that if I get and hold onto a policy when the vehicle is 3 years old, my premium will never go up as long as I maintain the policy?
So, no matter how old the vehicle gets, I'm still paying the premium for a new rig?
That sounds like a good deal to me.
But am I understanding correctly?

No, you pay the premium for the policy based on the age of the RV at the time of purchase.  When the policy expires, you get another quote and the premium will be for the RV at its age at that time.  As I said, it's a one time premium, paid up front, for the policy.  If you buy a 5 year policy, for example, you will pay one lump sum (or in several installments) for that policy and then nothing until it expires and you choose to get a new policy at the then current rates.

If your RV has a manufacturers 3 year warranty, then I would wait until then to buy an extended warranty.  The premium will be higher than for a new RV because the RV is now 3 years old, but there is no advantage in buying the policy sooner.  That would just be overlapping coverage.

Definitely get the Dometic warranty....I have had 3 replaced in 8 years, the only major problem I have had on my coach. It's was the only warranty I bought & I'm sure glad I did. The refrig retails for over $3700...What a joke.

Thanks gents for anwering for me  I'm old and getting slower to answering, but you did it perfect,.

The Dometic warranties are expensive, though. I think you can do better with a "whole RV" extended warranty if you are thinking of buying more than just the refrigerator policy. Dometic warranties on a fridge and two a/c units are several hundrd dollars for three years.

For your new Dometic appliance warranty, read the fine print carefully.  The second and third year coverage usually require that you have a paid preventive service/inspection done annually by an "Dometic authorized service center". That negates a lot of the value, since even an hour of a service tech's time is going to cost you $60-$90.

I reviewed the warranty offer and I don't see anything about having a paid preventative service inspection done annually mentioned in the terms and conditions.
It does however say that my initial 3 year factory warranty covers parts and labour for the first 2 years, the third year of warranty covers only parts. No labour.
Now, that's for both the fridge and A/C.

So it looks like I'm down to two years to start looking to get an extended warranty so the labour is covered also?

RV Roamer said:
Perhaps they did away with that requirement. Mine had it (new in 2002) on both fridge and a/c. I didn't bother to do it, though.

It's still there for a Norcold refrigerator. It rquires that it be done some time in second year of ownership. You lose 3rd year of warranty if not done. BTW - extended warranty people count on you doing it and if not done they may not cover either. 

You might want to just call the extended warranty folks and chat with them, to see if they ask about things not raised here. They might have something useful for you now.... Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom