Exterior Cleaning of the 5r

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

I plan to market my Idletime in the near future and noted the thread about not using pressure washers on the rubber roof.  May a pressure washer be used on other parts of the RV?  Is Simple Green too powerful a soap to use on the rubber roof?  The caulking on the seams has turned dark due to collecting dirt and road grime.  Is there a way to clean that?  I have used automotive liquid wax in the past.  Is this OK?

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
Oddly enuf, the owner's manual is the best source for advice on your particular rig.? Barring actually looking at that, I would not recommend pressure washing on an aluminum sided rig.? It can blast out the caulking between the sheets of metal.? ?I would be careful of it on a fiberglass sided rig because of the caulking around vents and windows.

Simple Green is a strong cleaner and degreaser.? ?However, it can be diluted.? ?About 50:1 is a good dilution for general washing.? 5:1 works for heavy duty degreasing.? ?Full strength from a spray bottle is good for black streaks -- but wash it off immediately.? Don't use full strength on laquered trim.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I don't see any reason to pressure wash most rigs - they are rarely so dirty as to require that sort of thing.  Unless perhaps you have concrete sidewalls on your rig.  ;D  If the finish is oxidized, a pressure cleaner isn't the way to clean it anyway - you need a oxidation removing cleaner, one designed for either metal or fiberglass (whicheer you have).  Boat polishes probably work better on RVs than car polishes, unless your RV has a basecoat/clearcoat painted finish. Cause that's what just about all the modern car polishes are designed for these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneCougar
Top Bottom