Exterior Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan992

I've been looking for the best cleaner I can get for the outside of my travel trailer. My brother bought a TT this year and naturally they had an orientation and a demonstration of cleaning products. The delaer had about a dozen older TT models there. He told my brother to pick one for an exterior cleaning test. The dealer took whatever product he was trying to sell and SPRAYED it on the side of camper. What was once a tannish dingy color with blacks streaks became extremely clean with a couple swipes of the cloth...according to my brother. Anyone have any suggestions as to which product works the best??

Carl Lundquist said:
A product called Simple Green properly diluted.?

I actually tried Simple Green. It didn't work on mine. I tried it full strength on a black streak and it didn't even phase it.

Black streaks can be extremely difficult and they aren't all the same.  Streaks on fiberglass gel or filon may require different techniques than streaks on painted aluminum. And the streaks themselves differ, depending on the composition of the dirt that formed themin the first place. Black streaks are fromed when accumulated dirt and grime on the roof is washed over the sides, leaving a residue as it runs down. The residue may be from oils, industrial pollution, smoke, tree saps, road grime, acid rain, plain old dirt or whatever and each one may require different cleaning technique to fully remove.  What I'm trying to say is that there is no product that removes them all, perfectly, easily and every time.  That includes the "black streak removers" that most RV dealers sell.

Is your brother keeping the name of this miraculous  product a secret?  IF it works as well as he says, we all want some!

Glad to see this discussion...I was about to post with this same question!

We just purchased a used 2003 Winnebago Minnie.  It has been sitting, uncovered, under a tree.  There is tree sap and "gunk" on the top.

Any suggestions for cleaning?  This is all VERY new to me... our first RV!

Thanks a bunch.  All the info you guys discuss is REALLY a big help!

Anyone ever tried a Mr. Clean Autodry device on an RV?  I have one and am thrilled with the resuts I get on my car... truly a shiny, spot-free shine.  But of course the kicker is you supposedly *have* to use the Mr. Clean refill products to get the same result.  Still a good product for cars.

I use it and while it does a good job the water stream is a little weak to reach the top of the MH effectively.  That may be in part due to the water pressure here at the house as we are on a private well, 50 psi max no flow!

I left something out.  I normally only use the Mr. Clean unit when there is a lot of dirt/bugs before I use either Drywash-n-gard or Protectall.  I very seldom use anything but one of them as they clean without a mess and leave a good coating to protect the finish. 

I do not and will not use either of these on the roof as they leave a VERY SLIPPERY coating making a walking surface unsafe.

James Godward said:
I do not and will not use either of these on the roof as they leave a VERY SLIPPERY coating making a walking surface unsafe.

Jim - Any tips on what to use on the roof?

Thanks to everyone!

Shiann

I use a dilute solution of Simple Green or a car wash without wax in it.  The Mr Clean would work good if I were to get on the roof.  I usually just spray the roof with the hose from the ground and that is all.

My roof is the Brite-tek "rubber" and has a hard finish.  When I recaulked this summer, there was very little stuff on the roof and it had not been washed for a year.  The rain seemed to have done a good job.  BG

Back
Top Bottom