exterior lights/electrical issue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neuman1812

I have a 2015 Coachmen Hybrid with some electrical issues.

1st issue:  My car is a 2012 Ford explorer.  I installed a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control using a ford wiring harness.  My explorer has the plug,  but no OEM controller,  so I had to go after market.  I got that installed and hooked up,  but it shows no trailer connection using the 7 pin round connection.

I had a friend with a Ford f150 and OEM TBC test it,  and his showed an electrical fault,  which we found to be a busted tail light on the trailer.  For testing, we switched the good bulb to the other side and it worked. 

Which leads to me my 2nd issue:  I got a set of new led bulbs for the rear lights,  but now only only the left side brake light/indicator comes on.  Also none of the running lights(top or side) lights work.

From what I can tell,  all the breakers on the camper and all the fuses look ok.  Should I be looking for a blown fuse on the car also?

EDIT*  Did some more testing

with the P3 Disconnected,  I now have both rear red lights only when the directional is on or when the brake is pressed.    The running lights and backup lights do not work.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
So, the Tekonsha P3 still shows "no trailer connection"?  Basically that means the P3 is not able to sense a complete circuit through the brake wire, which passes thru the 7-pin connector to the trailer, though the trailer brake and back to the tow vehicle via the trailer-to-tow vehicle  ground wire connection. A bad or corroded connection anywhere in that path will cause this problem. The P3 Install/Op manual describes this under Troubleshooting (though not in great detail).  Are you sure you have the Tekonsha wired in correctly and power supplied for the brake system?  Have you tested at the Explorers plug to see that the proper pins have the right voltage and at the proper times?

The trailer tail, stop & turn signals do not pass through the trailer's fuse panel.

One of the most common reasons for these types of problems is a bad trailer ground wire, especially the ground connection from the trailer back to the tow vehicle.

neuman1812

Are you sure you have the Tekonsha wired in correctly and power supplied for the brake system?  Have you tested at the Explorers plug to see that the proper pins have the right voltage and at the proper times?

As far as I know the p3 is wired correctly.  I purchased a wiring harness for the ford https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NZQIDE/ref=detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I found the grey plug under the dash that everyone says is the tbc plug.

How would I go about testing the plug to make sure its working?

Top Bottom