External Generator While driving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattd149

This is a question that i may already have the answer to but im going to ask anyway.  Is it against the law or just dumb to run an external generator that is on a rear cargo carrier while driving down the road?  Im headed to the smokey mountains at mid week and my engine a/c has an issue that i havent had time to fix.  with it being around 100?out in the midwest im affraid it will be a miserable 8hr trip without somesort of a/c in my 1989 jayco jseries class c. im not sure i could secure the power cord well enough for highway speed anyway.

I have never heard of any law against it. A lot of people in motor homes run their AC that way. Several posts have said that it is not a good idea, but I have never heard what seemed like a good reason. Go for it.

Joel

just to be clear i am talking about running a portable generator while driving that is located on a platform cargo carrier off the Reese hitch in the back. not a onboard generator in one of the compartments

I would think as long as it is securely fastened and doesn't present a hazard for other motorists, it should be OK.  It's in the rear, but be mindful of carbon monoxide entering the coach as well. 

thats what i thought i was just trying to make sure . the cargo carrier is for a motorized wheelchair so it is really sturdy.

Mine is on a cargo carrier on the rear of our 5er attached to a frame mounted receiver, reckon that is external as can be.

First there is a special carrier for a motorized wheel chair, A "Cargo Carrier" is .. Just that, for carrying cargo, ANY cargo, and far as I know no law prohibits a protable generator from being CARGO running or not.

So I will list my concerns

1: Legality: I know of no law, if anyone does, please advise.
2: Security: Portable generators, Epically the kind we RVers like (Quiet Inverter types with nice clean output) are very attractive to legs, that is they tend to grow legs and walk off on you.  When running the genny has to be exposed, and .. Well, if you can see it, you can steal it.

3: Exhaust fumes (if running) should not be a problem if on the back but strange things happen back there so you never know, Make sure your CO detector works.

4: The power cord.  If it runs UNDER the RV, there is a chance that if you bottom out the cord can be damaged and short out,, If you run it alongside the RV,, Well I'm sure there are possible issues there too.  But it needs to be secure.

I HAVE put a portable Generator (NOT a Honda) on the rear carrier and ran a cord just to the converter (Which is in the rear most compartment on this house) to charge batteries.. A Genrac 1000, alas I was storing it in a garage and it grew legs.  I think I know who's legs but proving it is another matter.

I'd say go for it, as long as it's secured well and the power cord is secured well enough for highway speed.  Not an insult to your inteligence by any means, but make sure the exhaust is pointed away from the coach also.

Everyone's advice so far is right on. And motor running in the back isn't much different than a motor running in the front. The worst case scenario would be if someone rear ended you it would be toast, but the chances of that are slim and none. As far as the cord goes, some really good duct tape over the whole length of the cord would probably hold it in place, but I also don't know where your electric hook up is. Running under the coach is an option, provided you wire tied the heck out of it. 

It's doable, just be creative. And keep the vents at the back of the rig closed. 

just to be clear i am talking about running a portable generator while driving that is located on a platform cargo carrier off the Reese hitch in the back. not a onboard generator in one of the compartments
I was thinking about doing the same thing with the generator on the Cargo Carrier of my travel trailer I want to run the generator because I want to transport two cats in the camper but what if it rains you have to have the generator open to run but you can't have it in the rain

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom