External microphones for video recording

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you have the right one for you, Tom. It's good there are several choices available.

And it's great that you're able to perform.

Sounds like you have the right one for you, Tom. It's good there are several choices available.

And it's great that you're able to perform.
Aye Larry, glad to be performing again and, on a personal note, glad to be able to sing solos unmic'd. Still have a couple of tweaks that I discussed with the Doc at UCSF on a Zoom call this week.

The choice of external mic for our shows came from a number of inputs/suggestions here on the forum. It works especially well at a larger venue (theatre).

"Syncing" your video to their audio might cause you some headaches. Good Luck!!

I've been dabbling in this of late, mostly recording my grandchildren high school band. With covid restrictions last year, parents could not attend the music (even a football game was played w/o fans).

What I used was a Zoom H4n digital recorder, which allowed 4 input channels. I used the 2 built-in mics, and an xlm input from the school audio system. The 4th channel was used with Rode shotgun mic, which turned out to be highly directional. I also recorder the events with a Sony xa53 camcorder that has a pretty good quad mic. This became backup audio.

I then used OBS software to bring 3 video feeds together, and edited all this with Corel VideoStudio 2020. I also streamed live with YouTube so parents could watch (and listen). The stuff is still out there, but since it involved children I never published any of it (only school sites can view).

"They" don't exist for what Tom and I were discussing. The external mics (mine's a Sennheiser MKE 440) were to use on our camcorders, no sync needed. I have worked with syncing other sources, and it can be a chore, but Pinnacle Studio helps.

I've been dabbling in this of late, mostly recording my grandchildren high school band. With covid restrictions last year, parents could not attend the music (even a football game was played w/o fans).

What I used was a Zoom H4n digital recorder, which allowed 4 input channels. I used the 2 built-in mics, and an xlm input from the school audio system. The 4th channel was used with Rode shotgun mic, which turned out to be highly directional. I also recorder the events with a Sony xa53 camcorder that has a pretty good quad mic. This became backup audio.

I then used OBS software to bring 3 video feeds together, and edited all this with Corel VideoStudio 2020. I also streamed live with YouTube so parents could watch (and listen). The stuff is still out there, but since it involved children I never published any of it (only school sites can view).
Confirming what Larry said, our external mic's plug into our camcorders, no apparent sync issues.

Separately, during 2 years of Covid separation, Band members emailed individual mp3 recordings which were sync'd with each other and with a 'master' video; Pinnacle did the trick for our purpose.

Back
Top Bottom