extra batteries in truck bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbTN

On the tongue of my travel trailer I only have enough room for 2 6v golf cart batteries, not tall enough to get 2 12s in there. I've been thinking how I could fit more and then I wondered if I could *easily* put more in the bed of the truck. I have the payload available. I believe it would probably require some heavy cables (thinking welding cable) and a heavy duty connector, to make a connection to the TT batteries, something like this

https://www.zoro.com/anderson-power-products-connector-wirecable-6320g1/i/G3347407/

I'm just throwing ideas around based on the desire to run AC on batteries and an inverter while boondocking and recharging with solar or a generator.

otherwise, I'm looking at putting them under the dinette and trying to vent them. I think I've read that AGM don't require venting. The distance would be about the same from the power center.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Its not a rush to get it done so have time to think it through.

thanks!

A couple of batteries added (or changing to 12V each) with an inverter isn't going to do much for you when running the air conditioner. If you could get it to run at all, it wouldn't go for more than a very few minutes before the batteries died. You'd need a generator to do that when not plugged in, probably at least a 3,000 watt unit.

Running AC on batteries will require a massive battery bank, a large inverter, a very large solar array and many hours of generator run time. In my opinion you are better off with a 2200W inverter generator and soft start setup and just use the generator when required for AC.

I was able to find this using the search function of the forum.  It is not my post, but might be of interest to you.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115568.msg1044798.html#msg1044798

Still doesn't do anything for the continuous draw of the air conditioner.

Here's a guy who runs two 5000 BTU soft start window A/Cs from his solar system.  Draw for each A/C is 1/4 of what an RV roof air uses while producing about 1/3 as much cooling. Note that he has 1185 watts of solar feeding 675 amp-hours of batteries via two Morningstar charge controllers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVCNQ_59lM

Description of his solar system with 1185 watts of panels, two Morningstar controllers and 675 a/h of AGM batteries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVCNQ_59lM

I bought that Frigidare Energy Star air conditioner ($189 on Amazon) for my well insulated shed and it can pull the interior of the 10'x14' room 30 degrees or more below ambient temperature. I measured a running draw of 400 watts and it starts and runs on my 20 year old Honda Eu1000i generator in Eco Mode with enough power left over to run a light, TV or laptop PC. 

This way I can retreat into my mancave and stay cool in case I'm ever here on a 100+ degree day and the power goes out.

Back2PA said:
Running AC on batteries will require a massive battery bank, a large inverter, a very large solar array and many hours of generator run time. In my opinion you are better off with a 2200W inverter generator and soft start setup and just use the generator when required for AC.

I have noticed a lot of generators now say "inverter generator".  As opposed what?  Don't all generator put out A/C?

KandT said:
I have noticed a lot of generators now say "inverter generator".  As opposed what?  Don't all generator put out A/C?
Externally they do but with this style generator there are a couple conversion steps between the rotor/stator and the output plug.  By doing this the engine RPM can be varied and not affect the output voltage or frequency, thus giving you a generator that can be a bit more efficient and quiet under light loads than if you had it at the typical 3600 RPM like the old style single phase units.  This is not without it's own foibles (namely handling overload, harmonic output and fallible electronics) but they're generally reliable, and quiet is a nice feature.

It takes running the numbers of an exercise like operating A/C from batteries to really appreciate the energy density of gasoline.  Even if you accommodate the load with enough battery, that could amount to a pack of eight or more which is neither cheap nor light plus you still have to recharge it somehow.  Enter the generator.  If you're going to carry around a generator anyway, skip the expense and efficiency hit of the battery and just run the load off the genset. 

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom