Extreme Heat Storage of RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cover I have on my TT is made of a breathable water resistant, not waterproof, material. The cover came with a set of tire covers made from the same material. I have vent covers and leave the vents open about 1/2 inch. The trailer cover prevents 99% of the dust from entering.
If you are concerned about the tires, use 303 Aerospace on them. It's made to protect the seats and plastic pieces on boats. These are left in the elements all summer.

So what exactly is the misconception here, are you saying a battery bank has to be more than one battery tied together.

I had a three bank charger for the three batteries on my boat, which as you said, charges all simultaneously.

We purchased a Rv in AZ that we wont be taking back to Wi. It’s a 2021 Keystone Alpine. I’m trying to find a good resource on storing an RV in Extreme heat. I know a cover is probably the first but that is not going to happen This year. Any direction would be appreciated. We are leaving Early April.

Thanks

hard to write this when Midwest is getting slammed with 10-20 inches of snow

😳
Be sure to flush the tanks very thoroughly. Especially the black tank. You want to see clear, clean water draining. Whatever is left will be bone dry and rock hard when you get back in 6 months, or whenever. A friend of mine left his 5’er in open storage for 8 months here during the covid. His dried out black tank residue caused major problems…

If it were me, I'd use a reflective material on the inside of the windows to minimize direct sun heat gain. I would lift the negative cable off of all of the batteries, once they are fully charged. I do prefer to leave vents open some but if you do not have vent covers it might get some rain in the event that should happen. Antifreeze won't prevent evaporation so I would just put the stoppers into the sinks. You may want to fill the toilet bowl with water and cover it with Saran wrap of similar product to minimize evaporation but you won't be able to completely prevent it. I would put a couple of buckets of water inside for moisture. Tire covers to keep the sun off is about all that you can do for that. Protective products are not recommended by tire manufacturers.
We have a house in Bullhead City which gets in the summer well over 110 outside and at least to 100 inside. As a vacation home, we are not there a ton, so the interior gets baked. Of course I do not run the AC when we are not there...

I turn off the water to the house when we leave, place plastic wrap over the toilet bowls and stopper up the drains. We just came back from there and having not been in the house in over 4 months, the toilets still were full of water and the traps were intact. We did not wrap the toilets years ago and within even 2 weeks of non-use, the toilets would be dried out as well as the traps, especially in summer. It is not just the heat in AZ, but it is the complete lack of humidity which sucks everything dry, at least in the area of the state our property is at. I would not bother with the 5 gallon buckets of water unless you are going to be coming and going to check on them; they will evaporate fairly quickly and then just be empty buckets.

Thanks. Getting back to batteries. We now have access to power which we didn’t to begin with. The Rv will be under cover so no solar. Do I plug in the camper? Do I disconnect battery to unit and put on a trickle charger? There will be no one to check on batteries.

Do I plug in the camper? Do I disconnect battery to unit and put on a trickle charger?
There is no single answer that is right or wrong. What I do (retired electromechanical technician) is to make sure that the battery is fully charged and then lift the negative cable. I would then remove all electricity from the RV as that eliminates a lot of potential issues. If I were to be gone for a very long time, then I would connect a trickle charger to the battery, with that negative cable removed. I would supply power to the charger via a separate cord, leaving the RV cord disconnected. By doing this you remove any possible issue from power surges from things like a lightning strike.

Back
Top Bottom