Eyeglasses in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The discussion on dentists in Algodones reminds me to ask the same question about eyeglasses procured south of the border. Any recommended optometrists? How did their prices compare?

My only data point was when I broke the bridge on a pair of glasses while on a 10-day Mexico cruise. I went into the first eyeglass store I came across (can't even recall which city) and asked for a price for an identical pair of glasses. The quote, including eye test, drilled blended bifocal photochromatic lenses and super light titanium frames was roughly $100. They would have been ready within 2 hours. I didn't buy them and, when we got home, the bridge alone cost me $80. (The glasses originally cost $650).

Both Lorna and I have gotten several pairs of glasses in Algodones over the past few years.? All have been as good as we ever got in the states, and I think my frames are better than I ever found here.? Eye exams are typically $10 and glasses start at $125 for 2 pair of single vision glasses with frames.? For bi- or tri-focal lenses, photochromic lenses, and good frames, figure $100-150/pair, inlcuding the eye test.? Best Optical seems to be the major vendor in Algodones, but I think all of the opticians have their lenses ground at the same lab.? Don't rely on the glaucoma test, as they only do a air puff test, and that's not too reliable.? But for the prescription, they are quite good.

Tom said:
The discussion on dentists in Algodones reminds me to ask the same question about eyeglasses procured south of the border. Any recommended optometrists? How did their prices compare?

Tom,

Terry and I have gotten several pairs of  glasses in Algodones, Mexico,  just miles from Yuma AZ.  Best Optical  was the store. 
We both have  (VSP) vision insurance however the Mexico prices beat  our insurance co pays .  We recently discovered that if you shop Algodones "out of season" (between July 30 and  October 1)  you can get blended bifocals with frames for $45.  We presented the prescription and picked frames they had in stock and they mailed them to us because it was going to  be an extra day to get the frames we wanted.  No postage fee.  Once a friend went back several times to get the adjustment right on his bifocals.  The shop aimed to please and fixed them until he liked them. 
Like Ned, I would use another place to get eye care exams but for glasses they can't be beat!

While in Cabo San Lucas I went into a Sam's Club optometrist office and asked about new pads for my glasses.  She said "just a moment,"  came back with new little pads and there was NO CHARGE!  I call that service.

Betty

Thanks Ned. That sounds more like my price range. Other than the glaucoma test, did they do the other tests or did you bring the prescription from elsewhere?

Thanks Betty. I've made a note of the store.

BTW how do you cross the border? Do you drive over or take a taxi or bus?

Thanks Ron. Where exactly is the Indian parking lot?

Just before you get to the boarder at Algonoes on the right or west side of the road.  Last turn you can make to the right before the boarder.

Ron

I'm having difficulty finding the route from Yuma to Algodones. Which road would I take? Are you able to bring up the coordinates for the crossing?

TIA

Tom said:
Ron

I'm having difficulty finding the route from Yuma to Algodones. Which road would I take? Are you able to bring up the coordinates for the crossing?

TIA

Take I-8 West out of Yuma towards El Centro The Algodones exit is well marked.

Thanks Ron. I assume that would be Highway 186 south from I-8? How much of a walk is it from the parking lot at the border?

Tom,

They do the eye test for the prescription on site.  That test is ok.  Just don't bother with the glaucoma test, go to an opthalmologist or good optemtrist here for that test.

Algodones is less than an hour from Yuma, less if you boondock at the BLM land at Pilot Knob.  There is an RV park just outside Algodones if you would need to stay for an extended stay, say for lots of dental work.

Thanks Ron & Ned. I'll pass that along.

Tom,

I have gotten glasses in Mexico twice now. The first time was at Best Optical. It took several trips before I was comfortable with them but they did work. Last winter we went back and stopped at Algodones Optical. I got two pair of progressive, one regular and one sunglasses, along with the eye exam for $125. They have been the best pair I have ever had.

On our trip to FL I lost my regular glasses. I was going to have a pair made at Lens Crafters but they said it would be a week before they would have them ready. Then I remembered that Terry & Betty were in Yuma. I asked if he could take my prescription and sunglasses to Algodones and see if they could make another pair. I sent the sunglasses because I wanted the same style frame.  He did and they did for $45!!!

Wow this is terrific news for me! How far is this place from QZ?  Can I drive to it and get back to QZ in a day?  My cataract operation was last May and my eyes have settled down and I am ready for new glasses.

Also anyone know anything about those eyeglasses that darken in sunlight and lighten inside?  Are they worth looking into?  How much would they cost as bifocals?

Smoky said:
Wow this is terrific news for me! How far is this place from QZ?? Can I drive to it and get back to QZ in a day?? My cataract operation was last May and my eyes have settled down and I am ready for new glasses.

Also anyone know anything about those eyeglasses that darken in sunlight and lighten inside?? Are they worth looking into?? How much would they cost as bifocals?

Less than 100 miles each way.  I have used the glasses that darken and wouldn't be without them.  I have no idea what they would cost in Algodones.

Thanks Ron!  I am hopeful that the technology on those glasses has improved since the 70s, when I last tried them.  Most people I talk to indicate the technology is much improved.

Smoky said:
Thanks Ron!  I am hopeful that the technology on those glasses has improved since the 70s, when I last tried them.  Most people I talk to indicate the technology is much improved.

Smokey,
I bought a pair of the photograys in Algodones two years ago along with a pair of clear glasses and with the exam and frames, progressive lens's, and anti-scratch coating the cost was about $150.00 as I remember for both.

Jerry

Smoky said:
Wow this is terrific news for me! How far is this place from QZ?  Can I drive to it and get back to QZ in a day?  My cataract operation was last May and my eyes have settled down and I am ready for new glasses.

Also anyone know anything about those eyeglasses that darken in sunlight and lighten inside?  Are they worth looking into?  How much would they cost as bifocals?

Smoky,

I used to have the Transition glasses that darken outside. There are two types, one is clear inside and only darkens a little outside. The others are tinted inside and darken more outside. I found they didn't work for me as they will not darken behind the windshield. My eyes are very sensitive to light, hence all the wrinkles on my forehead, and I need darker glasses when driving.

Back
Top Bottom