EZ Pass- is one in the coach all you need if towing a toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelP

If one is towing a dinghy do you need a separate EZ Pass device in your dinghy if you are using one in your coach?

JoelP said:
If one is towing a dinghy do you need a separate EZ Pass device in your dinghy if you are using one in your coach?

I have the Illinois I-Pass which is accepted everywhere EZ Pass is accepted. I registered both the car and the motorhome to the I=Pass and it works great. Car alone, motorhome alone or motorhome towing all get billed correctly. Until the last few years I was told that outside of Illinois I should use the manual booths in case the system didn't count the axles correctly, then the agent would correct it. But in the last few years that hasn't been an issue as the EZ-Pass tollways update their systems. More and more are adopting the rolling toll system used by Illinois where there are no booths just overhead sensors.

I used the I-Pass towing my motorhome in ever east coast state. In many states I have also used with just the car.

I would just contact your local EZ-Pass office or give them a call.

I tow a fifth wheel I don't change my transponder while towing. The cameras take a picture of me going through and I get billed accordingly. I would think your towed would be no different then towing a trailer.

Only the coach uses the E-ZPass, the toad pass gets tucked away in shielded envelope so it won't be read. The toll booths will automatically treat the toll the same as if you were towing a two axle trailer.

OK Thanks everyone who replied.  One EZ-Pass in the coach should do the job. As long as it works anywhere I will plead ignorance if I am in a location where it doesn't.

From NY (not that it should make any difference) - I have three vehicles and trailers.  For the motorhome, I have two tags (one if towing and one if not towing). If towing the car (the tag in the car comes off and into the protective bag). Two tags for my Chevy PU, (Same set up as the motorhome, one tag if towing and the other if not towing).  I have read otherwise, but that is what was given me by the authorities.

Answer to your direct question - no tag in the toad when being towed by the motorhome (but, in my case, the tag in the MH is specific to towing, if towing).

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge may want more money.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel tolls
. Type of vehicle Current toll
. Class 1: Two-axle, four-tire passenger vehicles and motorcycles $12, $5 return rate
. Class 1 vehicle towing one-axle trailer $16
. Class 1 vehicle towing two-axle trailer or vehicle $20
. Class 1 vehicle towing three-axle trailer $24
I just did a quick check,you may want to investigate further.

Keep  in mind that FL does except EZ Pass but only if the pass comes from Georgia. They're are supposedly working to accept all EZ Passes but they've been working on this for years. .

This was taken from the EZ Pass Web site as far a towing:

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my transponder?

Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a transponder programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your transponder in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car transponder in a tractor-trailer).

Rene T said:
Keep  in mind that FL does except EZ Pass but only if the pass comes from Georgia. They're are supposedly working to accept all EZ Passes but they've been working on this for years. .

Georgia does not issue or accept E-ZPass transponders, Rene, nor does Florida. Don't  confuse Florida's "E-Pass" with the more widely accepted "E-ZPass". Florida's SunPass and E-Pass, Georgia's Peach Pass, and North Carolina's Quick Pass, all recognize each other's transponders. South Carolina's toll system is being brought in as well, but I don't know if that's
been fully implemented yet. The Federal mandate for universal tolling compatibility had a 2016 deadline, but that came and went with no word on when, or even if, it would eventually happen.

We only have 1 pass, when traveling we keep it in the motorhome it takes care of the dingy, we also move it to just the dingy when we need to. you have to reg all the vehicles  you will use it in.

NY_Dutch said:
Phil, are your motorhome tags on the NY Thruways's Motor Home Plan?

They are - listed on line as Winnebago MH.  When I called support, that's what they gave me.  Rates for the MH towing are no different, that I can determine, from just my car or PU.  That's on the NY thruway.

NY_Dutch said:
Georgia does not issue or accept E-ZPass transponders, Rene, nor does Florida. Don't  confuse Florida's "E-Pass" with the more widely accepted "E-ZPass". Florida's SunPass and E-Pass, Georgia's Peach Pass, and North Carolina's Quick Pass, all recognize each other's transponders. South Carolina's toll system is being brought in as well, but I don't know if that's
been fully implemented yet. The Federal mandate for universal tolling compatibility had a 2016 deadline, but that came and went with no word on when, or even if, it would eventually happen.

I stand corrected Dutch. Last year I was talking to a toll taker in FL and he said that FL only accepts EZ Pass from Georgia at this time. Obviously he was wrong.
Thanks for recalibrating me. 

phil-t said:
They are - listed on line as Winnebago MH.  When I called support, that's what they gave me.  Rates for the MH towing are no different, that I can determine, from just my car or PU.  That's on the NY thruway.

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to be on the Thruway. With the Motorhome Plan, we pay standard passenger car per axle rates instead of the "tall vehicle" (over 7'6") rates the bigger trucks, buses, etc., pay. That's why we get the special class transponders. You can see the difference at the link below. Use the under 7'6" calculator for your MH Plan motorhome, and the over 7'6" to see the difference. For example, the toll from exit 15A (Suffern) to the PA state line is $76.71 for tall vehicles with 4 axles, but only $37.48 for our plan motorhomes towing a toad (4 axles).

NY Thruway Toll Calculator

Rene T said:
I stand corrected Dutch. Last year I was talking to a toll taker in FL and he said that FL only accepts EZ Pass from Georgia at this time. Obviously he was wrong.
Thanks for recalibrating me. 

He was probably confusing the "Peach Pass" with the "E-ZPass", Rene. The E-ZPass is accepted by the 16 participating states and certain international bridges no matter where it was issued. For our purposes, the Illinois "I-Pass" is the same as an "E-ZPass".

phil-t said:

And just to be clear for those with EZ_Pass  the special rate ONLY applies to New York Issued EZ-Pass.

darsben said:
And just to be clear for those with EZ_Pass  the special rate ONLY applies to New York Issued EZ-Pass.

Not only that, but you also have to apply for the plan. There's also a discounted rate available for P/U's towing a 5'ver.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

If the OP has an E-ZPass both in his RV and toad, will he get double charged?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom