Facebook to change its name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

Mark Zuckerberg famously changed Facebook's name from The Facebook to just Facebook, but it appears an even bigger change-up is in store for the company. But this would almost certainly not change the name of the website itself, but rather be a new parent company name to better convey its growing portfolio.

According The Verge, Facebook will announce a new name to better reflect its "focus on building the metaverse." The name change could be announced at the Facebook Connect event on October 28, or it might happen sooner. Whatever the case, The Verge reports that Facebook might become an app within a wider ecosystem, not unlike how Google announced a parent company called Alphabet that now houses its various product divisions, including Google.

Some of Facebook's other popular brands include WhatsApp, Instagram, Oculus, and more. A spokesperson for Facebook declined to comment when approached by The Verge.

None of this is surprising, as Zuckerberg has said his ambition is for Facebook to transition from "people seeing us primarily being a social media company to being a metaverse company." To that end, Facebook now has more than 10,000 people working on various hardware products, including augmented reality glasses, to help the metaverse come to life.

As for what the new name might be, The Verge said even senior leadership may be in the dark about it as Zuckerberg tries to keep it a secret. "A possible name could have something to do with Horizon, the name of the still-unreleased VR version of Facebook-meets-Roblox that the company has been developing for the past few years," the site reported.

I am not on Facebook, but wondered what those of you who are would like it to be named.

We are on it but the only groups we subscribe are the T@B trailer owners group and the Tesla towing group. Other than that we pretty much just ignore the noise. During forest fire season we subscribe to a couple pertinent groups for community notices and evacuation assistance just in case we can pitch in. Facebook can be very good for that kind of thing. But lots of junk as well. The name change means nothing to us.

Who cares what they name it, they are likely not going to change for the better. I closed my FB account 4-years ago and have not missed it.

I was on Facebook at the beggining, I remember something about a farm, people were giving me animals, pigs or something and I was supposed to build a virtual farm and take care of it. I think I lasted three days and realized I had more interesting things to do. I stopped using it and a couple years later I deleted my profile.

I also remember it was very hard to leave Facebook, the steps to delete your profile and get out were very extensive and designed so that if you signed back in even once in the follwing year or so it all became active again and you would have to start the "leaving" process from the beginning. I remember thinking this feels like I'm trying to get out of a cult.

I was on Facebook at the beggining, I remember something about a farm, people were giving me animals, pigs or something and I was supposed to build a virtual farm and take care of it. I think I lasted three days and realized I had more interesting things to do. I stopped using it and a couple years later I deleted my profile.

I also remember it was very hard to leave Facebook, the steps to delete your profile and get out were very extensive and designed so that if you signed back in even once in the follwing year or so it all became active again and you would have to start the "leaving" process from the beginning. I remember thinking this feels like I'm trying to get out of a cult.
One can simply just not open the App either. That way in an emergency the community support groups are available.

There are LOTs of settings to completely control the security and other features. Takes a lot of doing to make those changes away from what is default.

I really like FB as a way to keep in touch with people in very diverse communities. I have a circle of RVing friends, a circle of sewing friends, a circle of friends from places I used to live, etc. However I have my profile set to a level I am comfortable with. Oh, and I have never, ever played a FB game LOL!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom