Faithful Parking.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayflight

If you have not heard of this lesser advertised outlet, this is an alternative with fewer locations than the Walmarts and Cabelas. But its just another place to throw in the mix with less traffic and truck noise.

I like using church parking lots. Usually not on a Saturday night but some Wednesdays we were invited to join the pot luck meal served. Contact numbers are found on the door for a courtesy call to the pastor. Several times electric connection and wifi was offered.

I have used them a few times. Generally safe and mostly quiet. Mostly dry sites but a few have limited hookups. I always like calling the host over using the on-line registration.
We have used a couple where Walmarts did not allow overnight parking because of ordinances.

Just an FYI - our last trip in Maine - the Scarborough Cabelas (Just south of Portland) had No Overnight Parking signs and they had removed their water and dump station. Very disappointing.

Seems like a win-win for the churches. Great idea. I've been saying for years the church down the road should allow the high school kids to use their parking lot M-F. For a fee of course. Why not? The local community college did it and made decent money off those kids. It's a tough world. Gotta think differently to stay on top.

Maybe the fee charged makes it a campground, however temporary it may be, and the LLC formed by the main organization makes it all legit as a business thing. I really have no idea, but Walmart's end up being camping sites for many rather than just overnight parking. Orlando FL has same types of ordinances in place to stop week long camping trips in free parking lots so people can go to Disney and what not. Same in the Keys.

Coul
Maybe the fee charged makes it a campground, however temporary it may be, and the LLC formed by the main organization makes it all legit as a business thing. I really have no idea, but Walmart's end up being camping sites for many rather than just overnight parking. Orlando FL has same types of ordinances in place to stop week long camping trips in free parking lots so people can go to Disney and what not. Same in the Keys.
You might be right. I’m sure the organization looked into the legality of it. But leave it up to some dimwit to ruin even this by out staying their welcome and using the parking lot as their personal campground.

Coul

You might be right. I’m sure the organization looked into the legality of it. But leave it up to some dimwit to ruin even this by out staying their welcome and using the parking lot as their personal campground.
The big guy upstairs will take care of these dimwits in the long run. 💒⛪✝️

Most are one night only, some two nights. They don't really charge $ - ask for donations. VFWs, Legions, etc. do the same. Maybe something to do with non-profits.

Thought it was odd and cool that there is one in the Florida Keys. Can't imagine going down there and only parking overnight in a church. Nowhere to park an RV without a reservation in the keys. I know the keys from top to bottom is a long drive but stopping overnight seems odd. Also one in Miami with 4 or 5 spots, because the trip from Miami to the Keys is a decent drive and you don't want to be tired on that drive

The concept of Separation of Church and State simply means there will be no official state religion, such as the Church of England.

It does not mean that churches are exempt from local zoning laws or other ordinances. Any more than Walmart is

I am aware that was the meaning of the 1st amendment when written.

However in many states it's been expanded by local law. and some churches are. shall we say exceptions as well... it is a rather complex issue and I'm not an expert.. I just know it is not that simple.

Many years ago in Michigan there was a ballot measure that would have banned churches from ANY government funded services.. Police, Fire, Ems, School.. I forget what happened to it but I think it failed at least in that form.. or it got modified.

John is correct, there are lots of "exceptions" for churches. I've seen zoning codes written to exempt churches. Evwen if they are not exempt they are pretty much ignored and left alone.

I am aware that was the meaning of the 1st amendment when written.

However in many states it's been expanded by local law. and some churches are. shall we say exceptions as well... it is a rather complex issue and I'm not an expert.. I just know it is not that simple.

Many years ago in Michigan there was a ballot measure that would have banned churches from ANY government funded services.. Police, Fire, Ems, School.. I forget what happened to it but I think it failed at least in that form.. or it got modified.
Thats the craziest thing I have read in a long time. I bet Michigan would never consider such action if the religion was anything other than Christian. The folks going to church pays taxes to the community and I see nothing wrong with providing the same services as they receive in the normal everyday living.

Plus all those senior citizens going to the churches that have no children going to schools are still required to pay the same amount of local land taxes, and even local sales taxes for the operation of the county's general funds that includes funding for the land and maintainance of the schools at the local level.

Back
Top Bottom