Fall 2005 Southeast Rally Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
The Fall 2005 Southeast Rally will be at White Oak Creek COE park outside of Eufaula, AL on the Walter George Reservoir.  We had a rally there 4-5 years ago and everybody loved the park, so I thought it was time to go back.

The dates I have in mind are 5-6 days somewhere between 10/15 and 11/8 and I am soliciting input about your preferences. I know the Bluebird Rally in the Valley is 10/30-11/1 in Perry, so I would like to avoid conflict with that.  If you are thinking of attending the Fall Rally and have a preference for dates, please let me know, either here or via email.

Gary,

Jo and I will be camping hosts for our Good Sam Chapter the weekend of Oct 21, 22, 23, and the following week, I will be involved in a Regional Model Railraod Convention till October 30. Any other weeks look good.

David Derway

Gary,

I think the first week in November would be best for us. Still waiting to hear when Jim gets his ship.

OK, it looks like the first week  in November will be the best choice for everybody I have spoken with, so you mark that out on your calendars.  I'll get the details out shortly so folks can make reservations at the park.

RV Roamer said:
The Fall 2005 Southeast Rally will be at White Oak Creek COE park outside of Eufaula, AL on the Walter George Reservoir.  We had a rally there 4-5 years ago and everybody loved the park, so I thought it was time to go back.

The dates I have in mind are 5-6 days somewhere between 10/15 and 11/8 and I am soliciting input about your preferences. I know the Bluebird Rally in the Valley is 10/30-11/1 in Perry, so I would like to avoid conflict with that.  If you are thinking of attending the Fall Rally and have a preference for dates, please let me know, either here or via email.

Gary,
I accessed the page for White Oak Creek COE park via http://www.reserveusa.com/index.jsp.  It shows that the maximum length is 31 feet for reservable camp sites. When you have time, would you please look at that info?  Do you remember when our rally was held there? I remember that there were sites that were surely longer than 31 feet. I wonder if some of the sites have been closed. Or maybe my rememberer is kaput. ;)

Thanks,
Liz

It is indeed strange, Liz.  In my recollection most all of the sites will accomodate larger rigs, but the Corp of Engineer parks always estimates length ultra-conservatively.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The Reavis'es stopped there last week and nothing was unusual as far as they noticed.

I see that sites 1-16 are not reservable, tho, and that is the area I had in mind. I'm pretty sure that's where we were last time.  In fact it looks as though they have removed quite a few sites from the "reserve" category.

I think it was Spring of 2001 when we were last there, but it might have been 2000.

Gary

I wonder if there is a governmental plan to reduce park usage by limiting longer rigs at NPs and COE ??? ???  I have just heard that the North Rim campground at the Grand Canyon will no longer permit rigs over 30'  :mad: :mad: The South Rim has only 1 of I believe 4 CGs that will take over 30' rigs.

I think NPS is somewhat unfriendly to RVs or any type of vehicle, but not COE.  NPS believes that vehicles in general and Rv campgrounds in particular have too much impact on Nature.

COE, on the other hand, already impacts Nature severely and compensates by doing their best to make what they have done attractive to voters and politicians. ;) ;)

BernieD said:
Gary

I wonder if there is a governmental plan to reduce park usage by limiting longer rigs at NPs and COE ??? ???? I have just heard that the North Rim campground at the Grand Canyon will no longer permit rigs over 30'? :mad: :mad: The South Rim has only 1 of I believe 4 CGs that will take over 30' rigs.

Huh? How about the gazillion foreign tourists that have taken over the National Parks? OK to slam the "fat cats" with big RVs but politically incorrect to limit foreigners. Your tax dollars at work.  :mad:

Back on the subject...

I'm reconsidering the location for the SE Fall Rally.  The section of White Oak Creek we used the last time (1-16)  is no longer reservable and the reservation system has set such unrealistic[low]  length limits it is impossible to tell what sites are good for larger rigs anyway.  They have also added notes indicating steep ramps and slide obstructions that do not match my recollections of the sites, but will  make it difficult to select a site to reserve.  We don't need that aggravation, so I'm looking elsewhere.  There are a couple likely sounding places around Albany GA that I am checking out and will keep you all posted.

Date is still first week in November.

RV Roamer said:
Back on the subject...

I'm reconsidering the location for the SE Fall Rally.  The section of White Oak Creek we used the last time (1-16)  is no longer reservable and the reservation system has set such unrealistic[low]  length limits it is impossible to tell what sites are good for larger rigs anyway.  They have also added notes indicating steep ramps and slide obstructions that do not match my recollections of the sites, but will  make it difficult to select a site to reserve.  We don't need that aggravation, so I'm looking elsewhere.  There are a couple likely sounding places around Albany GA that I am checking out and will keep you all posted.

Date is still first week in November.

Gary,
I phoned an office connected with White Oak Creek and talked to a lady who takes reservations via phone. I told her about that 31' max length. She said that the info on the web site is not correct and she has all the information on the entire campground. I wonder why sites 1-16 are no longer reservable?

Liz

Most of the federal parks set aside a certain number of sites for walk-ins, i.e. are not reservable. Why they selected 1-16 (among others) is anybody's guess.

I'm now looking at a private park near Tifton, GA. about a mile off I75. Convenient for everybody and lots to do in the area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom