Fall clean up.....What to do with old 12 volt TV??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGiacomo

I didn't throw those old 12 volt rca's out that my old bounder had in it.........it was just too hard to do, they were both like new, and I even had the original paper work with them  :-\

But now I guess I'm getting to the stage in life where, a lot of the stuff that i have tucked away in the garage and shed is looking a lot like junk............and I am almost 100% sure that I won't need any of it some day ::)

So what do I do with those two perfectly good old tv's .???...........can they be of some other use??

In our area (Central Oregon) the local Goodwill store is a licensed recycler for TVs, computers, etc.

Margi

Thanks,

The local GW in my area is pretty darn picky, they have not taken the old tubes for quite a while........I guess i could try to convince them that these are special .....and will be able to unload them....... :D

I really can't blame them for being picky, it seems that people are filling their dumpsters every nite or two......

DiGiacomo said:
I didn't throw those old 12 volt rca's out that my old bounder had in it.........it was just too hard to do, they were both like new, and I even had the original paper work with them  :-\

But now I guess I'm getting to the stage in life where, a lot of the stuff that i have tucked away in the garage and shed is looking a lot like junk............and I am almost 100% sure that I won't need any of it some day ::)

So what do I do with those two perfectly good old tv's .???...........can they be of some other use??

I'll take one! :) I assume it still works, and it's a flat screen? My rig is TV-less.

Mylo

How big a 12 volt TV do you need to toss.. My flat panel NTSC job is ... Not feeling well. (No color, keeps cutting out, in serious need of better eyes and test bench than I have) I"m considering dropping it off at a school for a lab class or two (Vo-Ed type) since they charge less for labor... But if I can sneak a replacement in the hole it will leave in my life, er, motorhome,,, More power to me as it were.

Nothing wrong with it a small amount of C-4 won't fix, but I'd rather not go that route.

I don't know how anyone read "flat screen" into my thread???......these TV's are from 1986 and are the  old tube type........

If anyone is in my area and wants them .......please let me know and I will be home if you choose to come and get them........i can meet you close to the highway, as my house is not easy to find ;)............I don't plan on shipping them anywhere ;D...........they are just 12 in screens.......standard [i guess??.. for that year bounder]

Don, I recently tried to get rid of two tv's, both 19" tube type that worked perfectly, just couldn't stand to throw them away. I finally was able to give one away and had to throw the 2nd one out. No one wants the full size tv anymore, not even the Goodwill's etc. Seemed like a shame, I remember when I sure would have liked a free working tv.

Best Buy has a good recycling program for just about all electronics.  The thing NOT to do is throw it into the trash because the "stuff" in it is valuable for recyclers (positive) and pollutes the landfill (negative).

ArdraF

In Oregon, as of January 1, 2011, it is illegal to put tvs or other electronics in the land fill.  That's why there are licensed recyclers available.  Goodwill in Sutherlin is one, but there is at least one other in Roseburg, OR.

Margi

I'm sure we have a recycle place in town........i have a drawer full of cell phones and two or three pc's..........hmmmmm.........i may have a pickup load... ;).......I feel lighter already  :-[

Don't toss old but working cell phones, or take them to a recycler.  Take them to your local police or sheriff.  They will give them to a battered women's shelter or similar project where they get good reuse.  We just call the sheriff's office and they send a deputy to pick them up.

Have you ever heard of Freecycle?  There are chapters in various cities and areas (I'm not sure where in Central Colorado you are) and you join their email list and post what you have.  As with everything, it was better back in the day, before it got well known and flakes started showing up, but I've had real good luck getting rid of all sorts of strange things. 

You post what you have and if somebody wants it, they'll contact you and you make pick-up arrangements.  You can leave it in a designated place if you don't want to bother with face-to-face contact--it's generally called "porch pickup" although I wouldn't specify that in the original post because you want people who are really motivated to come get it so you want them to at least think some effort will be involved.  No-shows can be a problem.  I'd say the number of flakes on Freecycle is a little less than on Craigslist, but any flakes on Freecycle bother me because, come on, it's FREE.  Make the effort to come get it!  (Craigslist does have a FREE section that you might try, although I generally consider all of Craigslist a cesspool and avoid it if at all possible.)

I'll admit that old TVs might not be in much demand, but maybe the 12-volt angle will interest someone.  Seriously--people want the craziest things, especially obsolete stuff that's hard to find.  You just never know.

Back
Top Bottom